Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reminders of Yoo-hoo and India

This morning I drove down to the nearest gas station to get some milk, as mom requested. Milk is the main drink around here (not to mention my favorite), besides water, so it's bad to run out. Ethan and his bear, Hug-Me, came along, and as we left I told him (Ethan, not the bear) he didn't have to wear shoes. The gas station was just down the road and it wouldn't be more than a few minutes.

When we got there, I realized I hadn't been thinking- no matter how short or long we were going to be there, Ethan still had to go into the store! It's not the nastiest gas station in the world, but it's not the Taj Mahal either.

"I'll just have to carry you," I told him.
"Can I bring Hug-Me?" he wanted to know. Sure, he could bring Hug-Me. I hoisted him up, and we went in, Ethan clutching Hug-Me and acting sort of babyish. My heart was soft on him this morning, so I let him pick out a drink. His quick choice was Yoo-hoo. Nothing like good ol' chocolate flavored water...

Crazy, the memories that Yoo-hoo slaps me with. I have a vivid picture of sitting in Such-a-Bagel, a now-out-of-business bagel shop near the present Marble Slab Creamery, when I was younger than Ethan. Three or four. I remember distinct pink and turquiose, but I can't remember whether the walls were painted those colors, or if it was the turquoise basket with my strawberry cream cheese bagel. And then there was Yoo-hoo. Always Yoo-hoo. It seems like this was a regular occurance, but I'm really not sure.

Anyhow, Ethan picked out his Yoo-hoo, and I got the 2 % milk and a USA Today for Dad, and kind of fumbled everthing to the counter where the cashiers were grinning at us. An Indian family runs the gas station, and we've gotten to know Mr. Raj, who has talked with us about India and actually given us Indian food before! They are really friendly, and sort of make me "homesick" for India.

Today Raj wasn't there, just a man and lady who are related to him (I think). I don't know them by name, but they seem nice too. I paid (and repaid when I gave the wrong amount) and then, since I was still holding Ethan, (who has the amazing power of gaining pounds by the minute), (and don't forget Hug-Me), the man offered to take my bag out for me. I was going to say it wasn't any big deal, but there were plenty of people around and I thought, "why decline a gentlemanly offer?" So I said,

"That would be great, actually," and we went out to the car, and I dumped Ethan and his woeful looking teddy bear in the side door of the van. So I drove home, reminded of the special place I'll always have in my heart for Indian people and asking the Lord to please let this sweet family come to know Him.

At home, Dad shook Ethan's Yoo-hoo for him and opened it, and I took a sip, just to see if it was anything close to what I drank at the bagel shop when I was "knee high to a grasshopper." Nope. 98% water, 2% chocolate milk (probably skim, at that). But Ethan liked it. And I liked it that Ethan liked it :)

2 comments:

Connie said...

I saved my journals from years past, and I have, oh maybe 3. :) They are precious, though, and I wish I'd written more. The first ones detail my feelings when I surrendered to God, and those are special.

Lexie said...

Aww, i love reading your posts!! You seem like such a sweet sister! :0) "Hug-Me" sounds like a good little run-to-the-gas station-kinda-companion!