Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fried Watermelon [Does Not] Taste Like Chicken


Yay! Mattie and her cake finally loaded! Happy Fourth of July late! She used strawberries and blackberries for the top. I thought that picture of her was really pretty (the cake too!).
Well...it finally happened. I got to fry some watermelon. Elizabeth, my cousin (not the one in Tennessee, but the one who lives next door) came down to our house this afternoon and invited me to come fry watermelon with her!!! I gladly assented.
So we cut up the watermelon, looked up the recipe on the internet, and fried away. Most of the bystanders were skeptical at first, and said it looked like raw fried chicken (which it did). But I think everyone was willing to try it in the end.
The finished product looked like Chinese food (from an American restaurant, that is) and did not taste like chicken, although your brain kind of expected that. The hot pieces were juicy and tongue-scalding, but we learned our lesson pretty quickly and let them cool off. The cooled ones, dipped in powdered sugar, were much better. Sort of a cross between donuts and fried green tomatoes, if you can picture that.
It was nice to have another experimental cook to try it with! I didn't really want to make them by myself for myself. Fun, fun, fun. I'm glad these little times are popping up before I leave.

No comments: