Saturday, July 19, 2008

Officially Happy

I'm amazed at the way things just "work out." I never know what will happen from one day to the next, but I kind of like it that way! Having a schedule was boring me to death. At the same time, having no schedule is mildly terrifying...

I was wondering how I'd get to see the different people I wanted to see before I leave. I wanted to see my friend Julia, but she lives half an hour away, and I wasn't sure when I'd get to go over. But then, yesterday she called me saying that she was going to be on my side of town and wondered if she could come by.

It was a perfect time for me, and helped me get focused enough to get my Friday housework done. So her mom dropped her off and we spent several hours just chatting, encouraging each other in the Lord, and then doing this at lunch time:
(Those are duck bills made out of Pringles, in case you've never had the pleasure of playing in your food before.)

So, it's official. I've been eager about Ukraine, excited to a certain extent, and somewhat anxious at times, but now it's gone beyond that...I'm downright happy! I know this because my stomach thinks it's on holiday and doesn't want to digest my food anymore. We passed a Mexican bakery yesterday and saw an advertisement for an international phone card, and my insides somersaulted! Just hearing an airplane go over can send me into a sort of ecstatic joy. And getting books to read with my little people...

Last night I went with Grammie, Mom, and Mattie to dinner and then Barnes & Nobles in Tyler. I bought books. I tried to drink a green tea latte (which I'd never had before) and almost died. I don't know if it was that my stomach was already in the preliminaries of rebellion or that the warm, foamy, vivid pea green drink looked and tasted like heated pond scum, or both...I'm thinking I'll stick with Starbucks' coffee next time and save my adventuresome tastbuds for some time when I'm not so...happy.
It seems no fair that the happier I get, the worse my gut hurts, but oh well...at least nothing is coming back up, you know?
There has been so much waiting, boredom, and difficulty along this journey, but right now I think the word Mom gave me from Isaiah 55:12 is coming true.

"You will go out in joy,
And be led forth in peace
The mountains and hills will break forth in shouts of joy before you
And all the trees of the fields will clap their hands..."
When I first read that verse, I thought the "trees clapping their hands" was a picture of trees clapping to music, but a few days ago I was thinking on it, and the picture God gave me was of me running a race, and the trees on either side applauding joyously as I crossed a finish line. It was as if they were yelling "You did it, Cassie! You made it! Hurray!" Like a cloud of witnesses.
And it's not just me "doing it," but God carrying me through, it's my family standing by me, the friends who have been praying, the people who have given their resources. Ukraine isn't a final destination by any means, but it is a goal to be celebrated!
A few weeks ago it was hard to believe I could come out of what I saw as huge, depressing messes. Now, although I still have a bundle of question marks and plenty of ache at times, I'm finding this verse true. I have so much peace, so much joy...so much delight in the smallest details of this adventure God has brought me into. It's clear that He does have good plans, exciting plans, even FUN plans for His children. Maybe not on our timing...but then that's a gift in itself!
If I'd had my way I would have left months ago, but I would have missed so much God had for me here. I'm so glad for what has been, what is, and what will be. Because of the storms I've been going through here, I have the assurance I need that He'll sustain me in Ukraine.
So..I'm going to go watch Monk with my family, and maybe finish rolling my winter shirts :)
Last night I dreamed that I was shopping at Walmart and a tornado was coming, so they made the customers get in a swimming pool outdoors for safety, where we watched dark clouds roll in and waited for funnel clouds to appear. Instead, a white flying saucer catapaulted out of the sky and crash landed on a hotel nearby, causing a fire and lots of black smoke billows. Then it started pouring rain, and Mom and Dad found me at Walmart, but then ran off to check on the spaceship. Finally the storm passed and we got to go, and as we drove home, Mom said, "Let's go home and watch Monk."
Ahhh. Now you know what we do at the end of a long day.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Monk is good. That would be a fun thing to watch at the end of a long day.... I pour it all out on my blog. :) I play in my food,but I've never done duck bills....