Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bread on the Waters

I have a lot of thoughts right now, and some of them are coming up for air...

Bits of Ecclesiastes have been sticking to my brain like flies are supposed to stick on fly paper...(yes, my brain is a mess right now!) But hey, at least I've got Ecclesiastes :)

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made one as well as the other. Therefore, man cannot discover anything about his future." 7:14

"Cast your bread apon the waters, for after many days you will find it again...

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things...

Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let not your hands be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or if both will do equally well." 11:1, 5, 6

A few nights ago I was sitting on my bed thinking about going to Ukraine, and found myself saying, "I really don't know where I'm going."

You might say, "Well that's not true, you're going to Ukraine, right? To Rzchishiv?" It seems fairly "settled" as far as physical location goes. But for real, I felt like Abraham when he went out and didn't know where he was going. In my head, I know I'm going to Ukraine (barring unforseen detours), but it's like Ecclesiastes says, God has arranged life where we aren't going to be able to figure it out :) What a sense of humor.

The thing is, this traveling blind is kind of fun in the moments I recognize God at the wheel!

I was flipping through the devotional Streams in the Desert a few days ago at the Bourciers, and saw this phrase:

"You can trust the man who died for you."

So I want to cast my bread, my life, on the waters, on the altar to Him. He's the "God of my surrender," and I raise my white flag to Him over and over. I hope He will take me prisoner so that I can finally be free :)


P.S. Ethan just finished giving his rough, tough GI Joe a bath...it just struck me as funny that most little boys would be taking their army men out to the dirt pile, while Ethan is giving his a bath :) But don't worry, he has spends plenty of time getting grubby!

No comments: