Thursday, August 2, 2007

Does it matter if I write?

What difference does it make? I urgently need to know. More urgently, I need to know what difference it will make for me to write.

I guess I was born with a passion for words and writing. And if a person is born with an innate drive to do a thing (besides sin!) then I guess it's from God. So far I've only toyed with words...I used to dream up characters and tell myself stories about them (too lazy to write whole stories) and filled up notebooks with doodles and "plans" and paragraphs destined to abandonment. The stories just didn't come out right. The characters were two-dimensional, and words that sparkled so brightly inside were just drab rags on paper. Plus, none of my stories really had a plot. Dismal, but true.

Later I wrote poems, because they just fell out on their own without all that work and were mercifully acceptable without a plot :) I just had to use words, I had to get my thoughts OUT. And I've journaled and journaled (going on 27 I think.) It's a nice outlet, sometimes to the point of addiction :) Somehow, I just keep wondering...what does this have to do with God, with life, with people, with reality? With God's kingdom?

Deep down, I'm craving art, dying to convey something beautiful, significant, and valuble. Painting...Poetry...Music...Lace and Full Moons and Waltzes, played on a piano. Most of all people. Feelings. Why we do what we do and need what we need. How God somehow loves us, and what He did about it. It's a craving for beauty, actually. Beauty God created. Beauty He made me to "recreate," somehow. Whenever I hear the piano played, something wells up in me that wants to spread my fingers along those keys and send out a beautiful song. When I see shadows falling on trees in the woods, or picture something in my head I wish I could look at with physical eyes, I long to put my fingers to the brush...or at least a pen. I've tried, but to no use. I could practice, and learn...but the moment is always gone before I pursue the skill. But when words dance across my mind, and ideas conglomerate and float around like giant bubbles in a lava lamp, and I start pacing the floor and twisting my hair and generally becoming absent from the world for a moment...well, sometimes, just sometimes, I sharpen a pencil, dig out a journal, and write. And something is satisfied. The bursting and swelling inside is abated for a time.

This has happened less often lately. A spring is running low inside. Not dry completely, but low. When the subject of writing comes to mind, I stare at it blankly, confused, sometimes tempted to beat my head on the mental brick wall. I was meant to thread words together, somehow. I was meant to make them beautiful, to communicate beauty and God. I was meant to communicate a story to someone who knows it already, but couldn't put it into words themselves. But I have no plot, no characters, no setting, no history. All I have are these elusive words, phrases, and abstract ideas, trembling mirages that disappear as soon as I reach out to touch them.

Back in the spring, as I wondered how I'd pass the time this summer, I was explaining my flexible plans one day to someone who promptly replied: "You could write a book!" It was kind of a joking suggestion, but it stuck with me because that's precisely what I'd like to do now that I'm free of the demands of highschool. Write. Not a book, really, but something...a story.

If I knew that I could write with purpose, I would be able to write with passion. I'm tired of writing for myself. Scribbling up journals may be a great personal hobby, and a cheap alternative to therapy, maybe :) If the only benefit goes to me, though, what is the real worth of it? I want to write with a nobler vision, but I have no idea how anything I write might that help anyone. Especially poetry. What use is a poem? I mean, it's obviously an issue to consider because a good portion of the population thinks poetry is sentimental and useless anyway. For the rest of us who are somehow captivated by it...why is it worth our attention? Why do we somehow hold poetry up on a pedestal as a thing to be respected. Is it simply because the ancients wrote it that we think it's special? Are we just crazy? When I get to heaven, will it matter if I have written anything? Judging by the urgent tugging inside me, I have to say yes. But I have no idea why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you are saying cass.
I like what you called it too, a cheap theropy ;) that is probably very true for me=)
I think you write beautifully! WAY better than i could ever write=)luv yew hope 2 see u soon

Kate said...

Maybe your journals aren't just for you and you just don't know it yet. ;)

Call me a dork, but I would rather read someone's 27 journals than most fiction I can think of. =) It's like your own Stepping Heavenward.

Even if only your future husband reads them in their entirety, how awesome will that be? It will be like crawling into your brain and your heart in the past... Wow!

Linda B said...

Wow, there is so much to answer here. First of all, Cass, you were made in the image of God. And God obviously is the ultimate Creator. So it shouldn’t be at all surprising that you as his creation feel the desire to create also—whether it be with words, music, or some other art form. Creativity is as much a part of being human as breathing. Sure some of us—like you--have more of it. And of course, if we belong to God then our creativity should reflect back on Him and bring him glory in some way.

Does that mean that everything we create has to be overtly spiritual? Of course not. Let’s say, for example, that you write a poem about some aspect of God’s creation that touched your heart. When I read that poem, my heart is touched also, and I thank God for His creation, even though you may not even have mentioned Him in your poem. A good poem is (or should be) like an arrow that hits the heart. When you read it, you think, “Yes! That’s it! That’s the truth!” And you wouldn’t have thought that if the poet hadn’t made you look at something in a different way.

Does your writing ultimately matter? Of course it does. First of all, in your case it is a very obvious gift that you were given by God, and we should never reject the gifts that God gives us. And there are many ways to glorify God through your writing. Stories can be “non-religious” and yet glorify God by featuring characters who show His love and make godly choices in their lives. Stories can make people think about the battle between good and evil and what side they’re on.

And how do you get good at writing stories? By writing them—and telling them too. Do you know how I honed my own narrative skills? By telling interminable stories to my three younger brothers after “lights out” during the times in our childhood where we all had to sleep in the same room. I learned to create suspense and leave them begging for more. It got to where they wouldn’t let me go to sleep until I told them a story—or continued one already in progress. Try telling or writing Bible stories in your own words—God’s stories are the best of all. Get something down on paper and then refine it. Read it out loud. Does it sound natural? If not, fix it!

And what about “running dry”? This happens to everyone, even the most creative. There are cycles in creativity as in every other aspect of life. You can either stay busy with other things and wait for inspiration to strike again, or you can just keep writing until your writing comes back to life—and it WILL. And all those journals? They will no doubt be a priceless family heirloom some day. There are so few people who still go to the trouble to put their thoughts down on paper. Your grandchildren may not even know what a “CD” is, but they will be able to open your journals and feel like a part of your life.

Ha! You may have guessed that my creative streak is running pretty strong right now! I’m writing 2000—7000 words a day on my current story!

Anonymous said...

Cass- I have so many thoughts on this. In some ways, I understand what you're feeling, because I've struggled with it occasionally, myself. I have lots of things to say, so I guess I'll write you a nice long letter. =) Love you!

Cassie said...

Thanks so much for input, Bailey, Kate, Mrs. Burklin, Julia...it really helps to hear what others think. I'm excited about the idea of rewriting Bible stories...that sounds like a great way to practice. :) I'm so encouraged.

bonnie said...

Cass,

You amaze me. I can't believe you came from your dad and me. Actually, you didn't. You are totally unique! Please do me a favor and keep seeking God for how you can rest in the unique person He made you to be, and not try to fit into any mold.