Friday, August 3, 2007

Seasons

Life...it passes so slowly for all the action that it holds. (to loosely quote Jim Elliot) As I told Mom at lunch time, it's a one-thing-at-a-time kind of day. (But isn't every day?) In terms of physical goals accomplished...there are three.

Goal #1 Have a meaningful, encouraging conversation with Mom
Goal #2 Shower
Goal #3 Start housework

Well, I did it! I accomplished my goals :) In the course of the morning I also had a short stint as imaginary stage coach driver, took a letter to the mail box, and restrained myself from contributing volatile comments during a semi-heated debate over how pop tarts should be eaten. (All in favor of toasted, say aye!!) There, got that off my chest. Sometimes one's suppressed opinions become a burden too onerous to bear.

Honestly, though, I want to encourage any of you who are wrestling with the mundane right now. That seems to describe me, and a lot of the people I hang out with :) It could be that we're just a boring, purposeless lot; or it could be that we love Jesus and we're learning to trust Him.
I think it's the latter :)

I know that in the world's eyes, in my own eyes, I haven't "gotten much done." But really, I do have two worthy goals.

Goal#1 Love God
Goal#2 Love people

And from what I've heard, that's actually just one goal mixed together! Today, my young cousins are over (the imaginative stagecoach passengers), I have three siblings and two parents milling around, and soon Mattie and I's friend Camila will be here! And later I'll be babysitting at least five impressionable, creative, busy youngsters who I love...and who knows who else I'll meet. And God. God is here, always gentle with me, guiding me. I haven't done a perfect job of showing love, but its my goal, and I'm pursuing it in a steady course.

I want to encourage you to enjoy the stage coach rides with me, to liberally distribute smiles and kind words, and most of all sing songs of praise to the One who desevers them. Life works in SEASONS, as a good friend encouraged me several months ago. We'll always deal with struggles, but not all struggles are going to last forever. The same God who causes the seasons to come and go, the sun to rise and set, and the tides to rise and fall, will not abandon His children.

""Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to seperate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark the seasons and days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so." Gen. 1:14-15

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will recieve what He has promised. For in just a little while,

'He who is coming will come and will not delay.
But My righteous one will live by faith.
And if he shrinks back,
I will not be pleased with him.'

But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."
Heb. 11:35-39

You are not alone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Cass...how true. I think we all struggle with this. It seems fun and exciting to go do great things for God, like street evangelism, foreign missions, and saving the world. But it is far more difficult to love and serve Him in the little day-to-day tasks and moments, but that's what our lives are built on! And that's often where we are blessed the most; when we make choices to love, serve, and obey. Thanks for the reminder!

What a blessing you are to me... I love you! I hope to see you at prayer tonight.

Anonymous said...

AYE!!!! pop tart toasted =D

i like the rest of the post too, really awesome.Thanks.

ps
glad i got to see you tonite, even if just for a little while =0)

Anonymous said...

NAY- pop tarts never. =)

Anonymous said...

I love you, Little Lou Who. Just keep looking more and more to Jesus and less and less to/at yourself. He will perfect that which concerns you. =)
Thanks for sharing.