Thursday, August 30, 2007

Love is Not a Fragile Thing

Love is not a fragile thing,
That it should faint when left unwooed
Or take to heart the bitter sting
Of unpaid debts long due

Love is not a candle flame,
That it should dim or be snuffed out
Because an ill wind blows its way
Of rumor and of doubt

Love is not frail, that it should die
From long exposure to the cold
Nor is it timid and should hide
In dark corners, left untold

Love is not a tender plant,
That it should wither with the drought
Or wilt for little things–
A slight, a frown, a pout
But is a vine that clasps and clings
And is loath to be plucked out

Love is a flame that leaps and burns
With kindled passions like a fire
But when all lovely lights are gone
Beyond reason and skin-deep desire,
Love is love for holding on
She will forgive, and smile, and never tire.

(Oct. 2005)

I'm so convicted by my own words...I guess that's how I know they weren't "mine" in the first place.

2 comments:

Linda B said...

Ooh . . . one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all-time favorites too, Cassie! Thank you...your poems are such a blessing to me, and so are you!