Saturday, August 11, 2007

Attending the Wed...uh, Battle

I have very few minutes to write. In a little while we're going to church to prepare for and attend Rachel and Adam's wedding...joy! I was already there yesterday, partaking of the feelings in the air and enjoying the stunning artwork of God in the form of fresh colored peppers :) (we were cutting vegetables.)

I'm so happy to see Rachel get married (and Adam to, though I don't know him as well). I look up to Rachel so much, and she's the kind of person who makes me think "I wish I could just get inside her mind and see what she's like more." And learn from her. She has so much grace, and the word I thought of when I saw her at her shower was "tranquility."

Speaking of tranquility...oh weddings are so beautiful and happy...its a luxury to bask in the sweetness of the fellowship and anticipation and beauty, just enjoying watching lives and people, and getting to share their smiles. For us young ladies though...we look so forward to attending a wedding and its so delightful, but I'm afraid that for some of us (all?) get the feeling we're also walking straight onto a battle ground the minute we step into the church doors, smell the flowers, and catch a glimpse of the glowing bride.

I hope to escape, by the grace of God, the assailing forces of romantic imagination (ahhhhhh!!!!) I remember going home from a wedding a few years ago and burying my head in a pillow with the closest thing I've ever had to a migraine, headphones, droning Fur Elise into my ears, trying to forget, and remember, and hold on to the beauty, and yet let go...aggg.

I'm more aware of the battle today than I was then, a little more ready to meet the fray...but fray there will be, as long as warmblooded females attend weddings! For all my girlfriends out there who will be at the wedding...know I'm praying for you and we're in the battle together. We battle for strength yet tenderness, love, yet focus on the Lover of our souls. Amen!

2 comments:

Linda B said...

There's nothing wrong with having hopes for the future. But I understand the fear of veering into fantasy or discontentment. Weddings are wonderful!

Cassie said...

The wedding WAS wonderful! The fear factors were not a big deal. Better than usual. The general tumult of joy was grand to witness, seeing Adam and Rachel like that, everything...I'm so happy for them.