Thursday, January 31, 2008

At the Crowes'

I'm babysitting at the Crowes' right now, marveling at the amazing way a schedule works :) It's fun. And when there are six kids in the house (well, right now there are five) they all seem to be able to entertain each other beautifully (with a few minor interventions.)

The boys are glued to the Xbox for a few minutes before lunch after getting all their stuff done. Tucker and Clark were sitting around making boy noises with contraptions they had put together with some sort of plastic building material. Oh, the genius of boys. The noises make me laugh.

Bron sitting at the computer doing Rosetta Stone, popping up every few minutes to say, "Do you know what "_____" means? Do you know how to say "_____"?" Unfortunately, I didn't, because I'm not to that level in R.S. yet. :) I'm glad she's there, though! My Russian-learning method has become more laid back, and a lot more do-able. I've been picking a word a day from my Russian book and writing it in English, Russian block letters, and Russian cursive on a post it note till the post it is covered (somewhere around ten times) I say it to myself while I'm doing it. Then I put it up on a word list on the mirror and read over list. The list is a little unsystematic...Friday, meat, winter, Thursday, again, carrots, breakfast,already...

I've also been learning to count, as aforementioned. The learning plan doesn't sound very affective for, you know, attaining fluency, but I'm learning more than you'd expect. I'm a language lover at heart, so usually the word-of-the-day is just a lure to drag me into the book looking up verbs and such :) I'm at least getting familiarized with the language, which, when it comes to Russian, is probably important. Just going off of first impressions, it's quite formidable!

Need to go put french fries in the oven...

No comments: