Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Russian, Booger Water, and the Impending SAT

Guess what! I can count to 100 in Russian! I've been practicing in the shower every morning. Of course, it's not quite the same feat it would be to memorize 100 Russian nouns or something. Like Barry Farber the language guru would say, I got that one 80% off...100 words for the price of 20, since you only have to know how to count to ten and then count by tens (and how to put them together). It's kind of fun, but boy is it a mouthful!

Ethan continues to delight me with his personal vocabulary. Earlier today, he fingered his nose and then wiped his hand on his shirt (yes, he's just a normal kid) and Dad said, "Ethan, don't wipe boogers on your shirt." "That wasn't a booger," Ethan protested. "It was booger water."

I've been doing some really brave things lately, small random acts of courage that are building my faith, iota by iota. I've been doing things like calling people I don't know very well, starting conversations where I know I'm going to be vulnerable, going places where I know I'm going to feel like hiding. These things make me feel so weak, and I feel like more of a weakling for the fact that they weaken me...but then, it is faith. "Without faith, it is impossible to please God." And so, I keep forcing my eyes upward, putting my hands to the plow, and flirting with the crazy idea that God is pleased with me :)

Yesterday I got my SAT registration form and today I started filling it out. I love filling out forms. I don't know why. And this time, I read ALL THE WAY THROUGH the booklet, just to avoid surprises. The math studying is coming along beautifully. Now if I can figure out how to quell the uncontrollable trembling/summersaulting stomach problems that come over me whenever I get near that high school...

3 comments:

Linda B said...

Do you want to borrow my DVD about preparing for the SAT essay? You are welcome to if you want to .

Anonymous said...

Talking about counting in Russian in the shower, you know what a Russian shower is, right? It is a cold shower. So you Rushin and Rushout...
:)
Know you'll like that.

anonju

Brenda Arce said...

Way to go on putting yourself in those uncomfortable situations!! That is the only way to grow!
John Piper said he was crippled with fear when he had to speak in front of people, he avoided it at all costs until college. It was finally at Wheaton that God worked in him and enabled him to speak/pray in front of others...and look at him now!
So where will we be seeing and hearing you in the years to come? Exciting to think about!!!!