Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Psalm 139

You saw me and You loved me
Before my life began,
When my substance, still unmade
Lay liquid in Your hand.

You shaped and molded with warm fingers
My heart and fragile frame,
And in Your book my days ordained
Not one of them the same.

You woke me with a breath of love,
And my response, an infant's cry,
Is all I could utter in a world alone
Up to the silent sky.

Hide me in the shadow
Of the wing my soul remembers;
Deep in the marrow of my mortality
Are left these glowing embers.

My soul goes back behind the stars
To find that secret place
Where You knit the fibers of my being
And held me in a long embrace.

How precious are Your thoughts to me,
That You remember and love me still,
For what was, and is now hidden
And will one day be fulfilled.

(Aug. 2005)

3 comments:

Lauren S. said...

I like that very much. There are few things that make my soul ache, but when I do find something that does I really appreciate it. An achy soul may not sound like something a person would enjoy, but I do enjoy it. The ache itself is like the promise of uninterupted God time in heaven.

Anonymous said...

This is a very beautiful poem, and it reminds me of Psalm 139, which is intended to be high praise. Thank you!
anonju

Julia said...

Cassie, I love this! Psalm 139 is one of my favorites and this poem expresses it so beautifully. Thank you!

Love you. See you at youth, if you come!