Monday, September 10, 2007

In which I find...THE COOKIE

Today I vacuumed the inside of our van, which felt like quite an accomplishment. It certainly needed it, though I've seen worse. It's funny how people usually clean their houses on a regular somewhat 'often' basis, (some more often than others...) but yet the family vehicle, which endures considerable abuse in the form of muddy feet, melted candy, shredded paper, dust, and smears and spills of various kinds, tends to escape notice for sometimes and VERY LONG TIME in the cleaning department!



Highlights of today's cleaning included, number one, finding my long lost chapstick, which had mysteriously disappeared when I dumped my purse in the car one time. That stuff is valuable! Even if I do only get $1.19 sticks of carmex :)

Number two, I got a kick out of sucking up mosquitoes in the vacuum hose. (Yes, you may win the battle, but you never win the war. It never hurts to try, though.)

Number three, an archeological-type investigation of the back seat compartments revealed treasures of noteworthy scientific interest. Discovered: A half wrapped candy cane and entact Christmas cookie in a yellowed napkin. They're only from last Christmas. I promise. In fact, I recognized that cookie from somewhere. The scary part was that the napkin showed more signs of decay than the cookie. Even the candy cane bore the earmarks of ancientness and meltdown, but that cookie...that perfect little cookie looked uncannily fresh and ready to eat, tempting green sugar sprinkles and all. In fact, Ethan begged me to let him have it before I chunked it in the trash can. I feel like writing to the FDA.

Oh, and just for the sake of family honor, we have cleaned the van since Christmas...just certain compartments have suffered neglect :)

4 comments:

Linda B said...

It's amazing what you can find when you clean something out that hasn't been cleaned in a while! When my kids clean their rooms it's like Christmas--they find all kinds of stuff they thought was lost forever!

Anonymous said...

The prose and poems are all good!
But in today's section, do you mean "Yes, you may win the battle..."?
And "chunk it in the trash can."?
But yes, I am a [bit] pedantic, and chunk could well be an east Texas word that lesser mortals have not yet learned. :)
anonju

Cassie said...

Thanks, anonymous commenting person, for pointing out my typo there.

As to chunking things...yes, chunk as a verb is an East Texan thing. I'm just trying to embrace my ethnic roots.

Kate said...

ROFLOL That sounds like something I would find in my car. I clean my car out, like, twice a year. It's awful, I know.