Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ginger Carrots

Just a note about the ginger carrots I mentioned yesterday...

They're really simple, and to me they're the most painless way to eat cooked carrots. Last night I used frozen ones, but you can use baby carrots or sliced "normal carrots" too.

Place the sliced or miniature carrots in a pot and add:

Enough water to cover the bottom
a dash of salt
a plop or two of butter
a few hunks of brown sugar and
a sprinkling of ginger

Boil till tender (the sauce will thicken up somewhat.)

Forgive the nebulous aspects of the recipe, but there aren't really set measurements, you just have to figure out what tastes good. Being an analytical perfectionist sort of person, I usually don't cook in the dash-of-this-pinch-of-that sort of way, but it's kind of fun once in a while! It feels artistic, and I suppose cooking should be approached as an art rather than a science. Well, maybe that's not so in baking, though. I dunno. When I have the leisure and Freedom of Ingredients, I like to be a little daring.

Ginger carrots came about about after a rummage through the spice cabinet, trying to find Hong Kong in there. Hong Kong never really turned up, but I guess I might have snagged Asia at least!

No comments: