Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ideas, Toenails, Scones

It's the ten minutes till suppertime post...Mom's favorite (not)

I'm perched here at the computer twisting my hair tensely, uncertain about what to write. My head is stuffed to overflowing with English Teaching Sort of Ideas lately, and the blog is sort of an outlet...but I don't want anyone to gather that that is my whole life...or...umm...no, it's just a phase.

Ideas scramble and clatter all over my head like busy ants or, better yet, grimy green monsters on all fours, digging their claws into the clefts of my brain for a better grip. Naturally, this causes headaches. People tell me I think too much, but, if you grasp the picture above, you will realize that it's very difficult to just "not think." I don't want to stop anyway.

What I do want to do is stop thinking long enough to re-paint my toenails. Their Bahaman blue psychedelic-ness has been marred by weeks of wear, not to mention a brief stint in the kiddy pool. Despite the many fervent promises I used to utter silently to myself that I'd never wear nail polish to the tacky point, I've broken faith countless times in the past couple of years. There are always more important things to do, it seems.

Something special about today: Mom baked a batch of superbly delectable scones this afternoon, and served them to us warm and fluffy and globbed with raspberry jam. Outsides crusty, insides crumbling cozily into the jam...oh yes. Tangible love. I love you, too, Mom!

Well, I'm 7 minutes past the ten minute post, and speaking of love for my mother...I must sign off.

4 comments:

Lauren S. said...

Your ramblings thrill my soul! I wish I could ramble with half your style :)

Linda B said...

I personally thought the blue toenails were a little wild for you . . .

Anonymous said...

:)
anonju

Kate said...

Okay I haven't seen you in, what, two years? But I can't picture you with blue toenails, lol. =)

I so want scones now! It makes me miss having tea with the girls and Meryl and Alana...