Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Providence Interferes With My Boring Life

Well, two days ago I had no idea I would be leaving at 4:00 a.m. tomorrow for Tennessee...but that's exactly what I'm doing!

After talking to Grandma on Monday, Dad decided to drive up to her place so he could make the trip to North Carolina with her to see my Great-Grandpa Pitz. Grandpa Pitz is in his nineties and needs some extra attention, and it's a lot for Grandma to do and think about. So Dad wanted to give her some support. And after tweaking some plans, we decided I could go too!

I feel like a lark released...like a dandelion tuft blown free...like a water droplet leaping over Angel Falls...I had no idea how much I was longing to "go" until Dad said the word "trip"! I had no idea how close to the brink of insanity I was teetering here in my dear little house stewing over all my little issues until there was this thought of driving...driving...driving...far away, down interstates, over bridges, through the mountains. Aaaaaa!!!! Maybe I'll go ahead and go crazy anyway, just for kicks. I'm so excited.

By refering to my life as boring, I didn't mean that at all against my loving God who has seen fit to give me blessings and opportunities like I could never deserve or dream up in a thousand lifetimes. It's actually embarressing to admit how bored and "stir crazy" I've been, no matter how much work I do or how much I try to get over it. I'm just grateful God doesn't play fair with me :)

I absolutely love it when I go about planning my existence, resigning myself to waking up every morning to the same fried eggs, the same lukewarm shower, the same set of temptations and struggles, and then, BAM!!! some providential meteorite comes hurtling into my atmosphere and wrecks the whole sick scheme.

Flexibility! Yes! It's easy when you don't have any plans to begin with. When you don't have any plans, it's hard to be distressed about them being interrupted. I feel like Cinderella, zapped by the fairy godmother.

I love this feeling of being along for the ride. Of being surprised again. Oh, the Wildness of Things!

So here is the "Wildness" for now (But it is just a plan)... We'll drive the 12 hours to Grandma's, stay a few days and see my aunt and two cousins, and then drive to Grandpa's, stay for a few days, come back to G-ma's, and come home a few days later. We'll be gone 9 or 10 days in all. I'll practice interstate driving (which we hope will give Dad a chance to rest, but, ah, I'm not counting on it!), visit with relatives, and enjoy the car time with Dad. I'm going to bring my laptop and try very hard to find places (preferably besides Starbucks) to stop and check email and blog. We'll see what happens. I've never taken a trip with my laptop before.

It's time to pack things up and try not to spaz out about how to fold my shirts :)

Bye for now.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

I know you've seen me laugh till I cry, but rarely do I laugh and cry all at the same time. After you and Dad left this morning, I decided to catch up on reading your blog. All your little complaints had me rolling (especially the talk you gave yourself). Then I would think about how much I love you and start crying, knowing your going away soon, and not just for a week. Thanks for putting up with us and loving us so much. You have no idea how much your gift for writing blesses me, and how much you bless me. I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

so just you and your dad made the trip? fun fun fun! =] have a great time cass!

Cassie said...

Mom, Thanks for your comment at long last. I loved it. It's funny that you commented as me :)