Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Surprising Surprise

Last night someone gave me a beautiful gift. It was a big surprise, and came in a surprising way.

As you know if you read the last post, I wasn't feeling up to snuff yesterday, and that carried on through supper time. So when Mattie mentioned going to a party at the Johnson's house, I decided to stay home instead of zoning out in public. So Dad took Mattie, I stayed here "zoning out" with the rest of my family.

Connor and I watched a Monk show, and when it was over at about nine I was feeling much better and thought I'd just go on to bed while I was ahead, you know...and then the phone rang. It was Dad, saying I should come to the Johnson's anyway, because Mrs. Johnson's mom had a gift for me!


Obviously I was pretty curious...I'd never met this lady before, but Rebekah had told me all about her and she sounded like an amazing grandmother for doing stuff with her grandkids.


So Connor drove me over there (another great excuse to use his new car!) and I just thought how funny God is to spontaneously rearrange our lives all the time, to change my plans, to tip my world upside down when I get too fuddy duddy. I like it.

At the Johnson's the warm tidal wave of crazy love, hospitality, and welcomeness hit me at the door in the form of hugs, greetings, and something like war whoops! I love the love in their house. After getting lots of hugs, and greeting people and meeting Rebekah's Mimi and cousin Lexie, they gathered around to give me the present.

Mrs. ----- (I don't even know her last name yet) talked to me a moment, and then said, "Sit down, and we'll have a party." She then sat indian style on the carpet, and I sat opposite her, and the girls gathered 'round. Jojo even overcame his shyness enough to sit in my lap. I felt totally surrounded by love! Then I pulled out the red tissue paper and unwrapped this beautiful teacup:

The thing is, this isn't just a random teacup. Mrs. Johnson's mom painted it herself! She has been reading my blog, and she read the post I wrote back in February about a teacup I got in Jefferson, and decided to paint one for me! The picture isn't the best quality, so it's hard to see the detailed blue forget-me-nots that look like they are in a real field, and the silver trim. It's so delightful!

I was so blessed that someone I had never even met before would take that kind of time to make a beautiful present for me!

We spent a while afterwards visiting, and I was thankful I got to come after all. I had time to rest and also some time to be with my dear friends and meet some new ones.

8 comments:

Linda B said...

How nice for you! I knew Mrs. Johnson did china painting and have seen some of her work, but I hadn't seen a sample of her mother's work until now. I'm sure you'll treasure it.

Jenna said...

What a wonderful surprise for you...I never comment on your blog, but I read it often. I regularly see some of your "Eyore"(as you put it!) personality in myself :)
Isn't it wonderful that God knows our moods (even when we try to hide them from other people) and then he sends a gift our way that suits us so perfectly?! Hope your week is going well- enjoy your teacup!

PS- we're obsessive tea drinkers in our house (I married a Brit)- what kind of tea do you like?

PPS- sorry for this long comment- i should have just emailed you!

Kate said...

Wow, that is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful cup!

Cassie said...

Long comments are the "awesomest"! I am ashamed to tell true tea drinkers what I like to drink...umm...tea? Normal tea? I guess black tea with milk and sugar. And Tension Tamer, by Celestial Seasonings. I also like lemon chamomile with milk and sugar. I love Indian style chai, but I'm not much on chai mix.

Cassie said...

I told you to come! Mattie

Cassie said...

Apparently I have an online identity crisis. Ahhhhhh!!!

Anonymous said...

Good to know long comments are okay!