Friday, June 20, 2008

The Beloved has gone completely Wild

I'm so tired that it's probably not wise for me to be thinking. But yeah, I am.

I'm so happy. God is so silly with me- I say that in the most reverent way! Yesterday I walked into a bookstore and started crying in the poetry section as I fingered book after book and opened them up and actually found truth. I forgot God could be so wonderful.

"Last night,
So many tears took flight because of Joy
That the sky got crowded and complained
When I discovered God hiding again in my heart
And I could not cease to celebrate..."

-Hafiz

I bought two books of it and went home; devoured them...was happy to tears and went around figuratively socking God in the arm as I once heard of a woman doing to the man she loved when he proposed to her. The title of one book (The beautiful blue and gold one) was:

I Heard God Laughing-
Poems of Hope and Joy

God laughs?

Did I need a mystic whirling dervish dude to tell me that?

The poems are English translations of Persian poems written in the 14th century by a rather exotic individual who called himself Hafiz. The other book is poetry by another Persian poet, Rumi.

These poets are crazy men. But if someone were to run by me on the street waving his arms and leaping through the air in sheer joy and yelling, "God is love! God is love!" I would be bound to yell "Yes! Yes!" and run after him. That's kind of how it is reading this poetry.

And what a beautiful, cheerful Friend I have, who would speak to me in poetry :)

"The Beloved has gone completely Wild-
He has poured Himself into me!
-Hafiz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How neat! I want to cry. :)

Kelly said...

Cassie, this is such a beautiful post. I have to agree with Deb. It brought tears to my eyes.