Sunday, June 15, 2008

Connor and His Car

Well then. Laila (the kitten) has invaded my lap, that is to say...I'm home from happy wanderings. Dad and I got in around 7:30 last night. Ah, the smell of home. There's nothing that makes you appreciate home so much as being away for a while. I think that trip was just what I needed to help me cope with the next six weeks or so before Ukraine. I've wanted to enjoy the time I have at home, but I needed a fresh perspective. Now I have it!

While I was gone, Mattie had a million friends over, Ethan's eyes got a couple shades bluer, and Laila grew several inches on ice cream they've been feeding her at night. Oh, and, big news! Connor got a car! I rode in it for the first time today on the way home from church. I like it. It's a '94 Toyota Corolla. Needs a little paint, but it gets great milage and it seems to have a good "personality." Connor refuses to name it though.

Watching a guy drive his first car is intriguing. There's a certain consciousness of himself, his surroundings, his power, that gives firmness to his arm on the wheel and straightness to his back. He is aware of it all while trying not to act like it, proud in a perfectly excusable and right way. It's quite a phenomenon to witness!

I'm so happy for Connor to have his own car. It's a stick shift, so I can't drive it, unless I venture to learn. He generously offered to let me learn in it, but we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed all the posts and pictures of your trip. Glad to see that your Dad through (sic)sticks at the black shiny snake. :)
Hope Ukraine has good internet connections... Hint hint.

Anonju

Anonymous said...

thats great! tell connor I said congrats! and girl if you can learn how to drive a standard, you can drive anything! I should know because my first "barrowed car" is a standard and I can sorta drive it! =] have a great day! =]

Cassie said...

All of my spelling mistakes are on purpose. I swear it.