Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mrs. Flo and Monk

I’m still here with Mrs. Flo and Nick today. I just picked Nick up from VBS, where he was helping out.

My primary job appears to be to coax Mrs. Flo awake in the morning and to keep her that way thereafter. That’s not as easy as it sounds, mind you. I never thought about how hard it is to wake someone up who flat refuses to get up. It’s like that P.D Eastman book for kids called, I’m Not Going to Get Up Today. “Up, up! Great day for up!” No way, Jose.

Once she’s up, Mrs. Flo is very friendly and cooperative. I’m not the worlds greatest small talker or entertainer, so it’s hard to think of things to say. I finally resorted to reading Cheaper By the Dozen to her because I love reading aloud, and she seemed to enjoy the funny anecdotes. We also tried penny hockey (no rules, no score) and worked a couple of puzzles. And, on my request, Nick put in some Monk DVDs in the evening.

I was tickled to see the Monk shows sitting on the coffee table when I came in, because we’ve been watching those at home and I absolutely LOVE them! I can't even think of any other TV shows I like, but Monk cracks me up. His obsessive-compulsive germophobicness is hilariously endearing. Potentially bad effects of the show: Watching it makes me start wanting to irrationally straighten things and sort of freak out about the dishes getting clean.

No comments: