Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Special Someone

Today was a very special Valentine's Day. It turned out differently than I would have thought a week ago, when I was listening to dj's on the radio mention Valentine's every time they were on and was starting to get that sinking feeling...

I've always been a little fascinated with Valentines Day, even though I didn't have much reason to. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've had Valentine's decorations at every birthday party I've ever had, and my first stuffed animal was a cute little white teddy bear with hearts on its paws from my Dad.

But I'm not going to lie...I'm a hopeless romantic at heart (albeit quietly) and that's part of the fascination. I never went for the cute little kiddie valentines and chocolate from my grandmother...well, I ate it, but it didn't MEAN much. I was waiting for the real deal.

So last week I started feeling a little grumpy about it. A little jealousy crept in...not that many other people I know are really having a terribly romantic Valentine's Day either, but you know how envy works.

But all that is changed now. I don't need to miss out on Valentine's after all. What have I been thinking? Jesus has satisfied every desire and need I have, and just because I can't see Him now doesn't mean He's not my sweetheart. I'm not going to be left out of the fun. So this afternoon, I went to Walmart and bought Him a Valentine's card.

You should have seen me, turning all red there in front of the card rack. I poked through the cards that looked like they'd be appropriate until I foudn one I liked. It felt awkward at first, but then I started getting excited when I thought of the things I'd write to Him (that He already knows).

It's crazy how I always thought the longing in my heart needed a person to satisfy it, but truly, when I'm with Him, He's everything. I can be giddy and silly for Him and it makes Him happy. This year has been one of becoming very weak and discovering his amazing, loving strength.

This is what He's like...

"You are the most excellent of men
and your lips have been anointed with grace,
since God has blessed you forever.

Gird Your sword apon your side, oh mighty one,
clothe yourself with splendor and majesty.

In your majesty ride forth victoriously
In behalf of truth, humility, and righteousness;
let your right hand display awesome deeds.

Let your arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies;
Let the nations fall beneath your feet...

You love righteousness and hate wickedness
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions,
by anointing you with the oil of joy.

All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
from palaces adorned with ivory
the music of strings makes you glad..."

Psalm 45

"This is my lover, this is my friend;
oh daughters of Jerusalem." Song of Solomon 5:16

I didn't write this to be sappy, and I'm not writing it to convince myself I'm happy that I'm at home with my two brothers on Valentine's day. I wrote it because Jesus has truly captured my heart, and I want you to know how very impressive He is. If anyone has been tender, it's Him. If anyone has been patient, it's Him. If anyone has ever been faithful to come through for me, yep, it's Him. I am part of His bride, His church, and so are you! If I thought I was jealous...well he's jealous! He's waiting for her with a passion He can hardly contain.

"Because Your love is better than life, my lips will praise You." Ps. 63:3

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so, so sweet=)
I like the idea of the card too=)