Thursday, January 18, 2007

Quid est veritas?

Ok, so back to logic. I'm almost through my three and a half pages of notes :) Another topic that interested me was McInerny's discussion on truth. He said that "The whole purpose of reasoning, of logic, is to arrive at the truth of things." Ok. He also mentioned two ways of understanding truth. One way is the "Correspondence Theory of Truth" (a person's statement fits with facts we already know to be true) and another way is the "Coherence Theory of Truth." (a person's statement is true if it fits with already established theories.) As the author alluded to, I don't think that the Coherence Theory is reliable, because theories, by nature, are not 100% certain truth. They are just thought to be true. Ask J. L. Wile. (Ok, so I can't help it! I'm a homeschooler!) I can tell I'm just digging myself a grave. Anyway, I think that if people go with the Coherence theory it would be too easy for them to make up "their own truth." If I were to only accept statements as true that fit with the Theory of Evolution, I wouldn't really be finding the truth. Another thing that McInerny had to say toward the end of the chapter that really got my wheels turning, was this: "Establishing the truth in any particular situation is a matter of determining whether what one believes to be true, or suspects might be true, has a basis in fact." Basically, he's saying that all truth is grounded in fact. Well, is it? I believe God is real and loving, but how can I say that's true if I don't see Him, can't verify Him as fact? How do you prove God? From my own experience I know He's spoken to me in my heart, and I've seen changes in people because of Him, but how can I prove that He's real? How can I communicate my idea (a very complex idea) of God to you? For that matter, how does He, if He is so real, communicate the idea of Himself to us if He is invisible and seldom shows up as tangible fact? All I know is that the Bible says He is Faithful and True (Rev. 19:11) and that His Word is true. "The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord stands forever." (Is. 40:8) His words have changed my life, and His invisible Presence has been my comfort. I am compelled to love Him, compelled to go after Him, compelled to cling to Him, even when I can't see Him at all. Nothing will keep me from believing Him. I'm thankful for logic and I love to see matters laid out clearly, but there is one thing that must be taken on faith even when we can't see all the facts. Hebrews 11:6 is the bottom line: "Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek Him." No one can prove God to you except He Himself; you have to believe that what He says is true. And yeah, it's worth it.

5 comments:

Linda B said...

Wow, it warms my heart to see a student taking her class reading so seriously! Be sure to bring your notes to class!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cass! Wow it seems like 4ever since i saw you! Oh about myspace I am pretty sure you do but i am not sure.....anywho hope 2 see you soon!!!~Bailey~

Anonymous said...

Hey Bailey! Where've you been! Hope to see you soon too!

Cass

Anonymous said...

Hey cass maybe I should read your logic book. I am trying to read Logic by Watts, and I think he is to logical or something because I can't under stand a thing he says. =) Also it is a realy small book and I have been "reading" it for over a year. 'sigh' I think I am just doomed to be illogical.

Anonymous said...

Gracie dear...don't give up hope :) You my logic book if you want...it is more recent than Watts, in any case. love ya!