Friday, September 5, 2008

Raspberries and Learning Styles

It's a beautiful day. That's what first came into my head to write. Earlier this afternoon I was staring at the birds circling the blue-and-cloud-dabbed sky and thought, "I'm free, God, I'm free!" That I am, nto because of anything I've done, but because He saved me for Himself.

We just enjoyed the ripest, reddest, most delectable raspberries this side of...of...utopia, I think...red raspberries (did I already mention this?) are my favorite fruit, and I've hardly ever had them because they don't grow in East Texas. But they grow here!

Yesterday I got really excited about teaching Tucker and Brent to read. I don't know what we'll be doing for school exactly, but at least for the past few days I've gotten to help them with their phonics, and I forgot how amazign it is to watch the intensity to concentration on their faces, the curving fingers ooching the pencil over the paper, and the final dawn of pleasure in their eyes when they've written a letter all by themselves! YES! Both of them are very eager to learn.

Deb has us all working on school in the afternoon, so we come to the living room and split up, Deb with one or two kids and me with one or two, and we switch out, so we usually get to work with each one each day. I really like that.

Brent and Tuck are so close in age (5 and 7) but they are two completely different boys! Tuck is contemplative and engineering and thinks a lot, while Brent is very clever at building and loves to work with his hands. Tucker seems to be a more visual learner, and he picks up the sounds of the letters very quickly, while his motor skills aren't quite ready yet. Brent, on the other hand, is quickly catching on to writing the letters, but goes slower with learning the sounds. But I think they're both going to learn quickly.

I took a few pictures of them, but I've been on the internet for quite a while; I think I'll wait till later...

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ooh! You might know the answer to this question! Or Deb might! =P

Emmy knows her letters and she can read phonetic words and words with some other letter combinations, so she's doing really great there. And she can write all her letters, BUT she holds her pencil totally the wrong way. Not just a fist with the thumb at the top, but a fist the other way, twisted in with the thumb at the bottom. Does that make sense?

She is SO excited about reading and writing and I don't want to hold her back, but is it going to be bad for her to learn writing holding her pencil like that? I don't know if I need to just push her more to hold it the right way or if she really isn't coordinated enough or what. When I have her hold it properly, she will do it for one letter, but then she's back to the funky way.

So recently, I haven't been prompting her to write. She still does do it on her own but I don't know what is best for me to do.

How do I not mess up my kid? =P

Cassie said...

I have no idea! I have next to no experience, so...you could ask my mom!
It's awesome that she loves to read and write.