Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's a Good Thing That I'm Not Perfect?

I just got back from a school on the other side of town where Jono, a guy here from New Zealand, was interviewing kids for the English school he's doing. He wanted a few people to come and help serve drinks and cookies and be friendly while he was testing students, etc., and so I went as reinforcements.

So around 4, Jono and his underlings (Natasha, Sveta, Max, and I) went to the school and set up shop in a classroom. He didn't know how many would show up; I guess he had advertised these classes he's doing, so people could just come to sign up if they were interested. Four moms came with their daughters (I guess boys don't want to learn english). Jono tested them on their english skills while Natasha (who works for Jono) did paperwork with the parents. Sveta helped some with that, but most of the time, she and Max and I sat and visited quietly, since nobody wanted cookies, tea, or coffee.

I was so happy to be with Sveta again. She's the kind of person who always means it when she asks "How are you?" and always stops to listen to the answer. I met Max for the first time (he's Ukrainian but speaks pretty good english.) He's interested in philosophy and likes to play djembe, and right now he's staying with Jono.

It was great to visit and pick up a few Russian and Ukrainian phrases. Sveta and Max tried to help me a little. I still can't figure out which language I'm trying to learn :)

The conversation I had with Max really encouraged me. He was curious about why I would leave my home and friends and come to live here with the Crowes. I'm still trying to figure that question out myself. I mean, I came because I wanted to and because I believe God wants me here right now, but I don't have much of an explanation for it. I don't think I really need one.

At one point, Sveta was busy with paperwork, and Max began asking me about what my hobbies are (another question I'm never sure about...uh...journaling?) And then he asked me how long I had known the Lord, so I told him, and then asked, "What about you?" So he told me about his relationship with God and how he struggles to stay out of trouble and a bad crowd, and sometimes wonders if Jesus is the only way, etc. We talked a little about that, and then I shared how I had been struggling this morning with having faith in God.

This morning at breakfast Deb encouraged me because I've been feeling down and frustrated about how dependent I get on emotions. She encouraged me that no matter what I feel like, the truth is always the same. Jesus is the Truth. It's a matter of believing that our sins are forgiven and God accepts and loves us, even if we don't feel like it.

This morning when I was talking about this, I felt weak, like my Christianity was under par. But tonight, while I was sharing this with Max, it dawned on me that if it hadn't been for that weakness of mine, I wouldn't have been able to offer him any encouragement. I don't know what it meant to him, but I realize that it's like Paul says, I can glory in my weakness! If I were perfect all the time, I wouldn't be of much use to the kingdom, I guess! I hadn't thought of it like that before :)

So, I want to pray that Max finds some good friends who will hold him up and not tear him down, and that he would be able to make right choices.

Later on Sveta went outside to talk with some kids she knew, and I went along, straining to understand Ukrainian. After 7, nobody showed up, so we tidied up and Jono entertained us by reciting laughable poetry...I have never heard anyone actually spout off in poetry! I was stunned and inspired, and started twisting my hair and staring into space trying to remember poems I've memorized...a pitiful few. Sveta said we should have a concert.

So we left, and I came home and drank warm milk with honey, and now I'm going to moi kravat because ya khochu spat on moya padushka blahblahalakvnv;jfvalfnvenhwjkbnwgajlkgjevnl.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

CHARLAX said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.