Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

(Aug 30)

I can’t believe August is almost over! At the same time, it’s hard to believe it’s August with the chilly weather today. It’s been rainy and overcast off and on, with gusty wind and chilly temperatures. Maybe in the 50’s? I can’t tell. I’m resisting putting on a sweater…I have to get used to this, right?

It’s becoming more and more keenly evident that we don’t have gas or hot water :) Not that we would turn the gas on right now, but this just reminds us of what’s to come. Hey, we have a tea kettle and all the tea we want, so who’s complaining?

Today we had such a nice time visiting with the Micah and Christy Claycamp, who came over to visit with their four young kids. Three more boys and a girl to add to the mix! They kept each other happy the whole time pretty much.

We ventured to make apple pie with the fresh apples from the trees in the yard and oh man…it was amazing! There’s something so satisfying about making a pie. I don’t think I’ll ever be too homesick as long as there is pie to be made. With limited dishes right now, I’m learning to be creative. I used a Pringles can for a rolling pin a few days ago, (yeah, can you believe there are Pringles right here in little Rzhishchiv?) and today searched around and found the stainless steel camping thermos Mrs. Burklin gave me in a traveling kit she made for my graduation gift. Being long and smooth, it worked quite well for a rolling pin, and the crust didn’t stick! Thanks Mrs. Burklin! :)

So the Claycamps came about ten and we made lunch and sat down and ate it, then enjoyed pie and ice cream and tea for quite a while…it was just a nice leisurely visit and I enjoyed getting the know some more people from the area.

When they left and Deb and I were cleaning up, I commented, “People are always asking me what I like to do and I don’t know how to answer them. Well, this is what I like to do.”

“What? The dishes?” she asked with a grin.

“NO!” I returned. (We have an ongoing joke that doing dishes is my “default” and that that’s what I do when I can’t think of anything else). “No, not dishes. Having people over and fellowshipping and having good things to eat together.” I realized with pleasure that it reminds me of so many Sunday afternoons at home having people in our house for a meal and sharing with them. I’m amazed at how my family life has, in many ways, prepared me for being here. Something I treasured so much at home is being carried out right here in Ukraine, just with the Crowe’s family instead of mine. So I can hardly even feel homesick!

No comments: