Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cassie Gets Sassy

Life has become livelier since Deb's parents arrived. Her dad is working on the house with Bruce, and her mom is doing things that grandmoms do...cuddling grandchildren during movies, delivering treats, cleaning up, etc. etc. I'm getting to know Uncle Neil and Auntie Noline, as I guess I'll be calling them, since that's how it goes around here.

Uncle Neil and I are getting along swimmingly. He called me a cheeky beast, and I suppose that's what I'm getting to be, under his provocation. It all started yesterday when he announced to the household that girls are only good for two things: Cleaning up and making food. On hearing that edifying comment, all the females, thus degraded and demeaned, sat down to play cards and did not clean up OR make food, even though it was ooching on toward supper time.

Then, when we did go to the kitchen to make curry, who showed up to interfere with the "girls' work" but Uncle Neil, showing us how to cook the chicken. Since he and Deb wanted it two different ways, I sort of did my own thing, which he dubbed "rebellion" or "the R word." THEN he started in on my hair twisting habit, which has worsened as I grow more and more uncertain about what to do when. Whenever I'm trying to make a decision, I twist my hair. And he insisted that I stop. Every couple of minutes he insisted, until I was forced to go into hiding just so I could THINK straight. They all ganged up on me (at least Deb joined in) and now they're on a campaign.

Well, I think, (not that they care what I think) that I'm entitled. It's not their hair. And if the Count of Monte Cristo can do it, then I jolly well can too! Sass, rebellion, and cheek! Straight on my way to becoming a cheeky beast.

I was a little uncertain about the relationship until Uncle Neil handed me a red utility knife this evening and set me to work on the carpet. I told him maybe he shouldn't be giving me a utility knife after all those provoking things he had said to me, but apparently he trusted me. We got along well, although every time I stopped to think (and twist) he rebuked me as if I were a naughty puppy. I've never been fond of being treated like a dog, but I'm getting used to it. I can still twist when his back is turned. I think I might be getting a little sassy.

We made some progress on the carpet, but there's still a ways to go. Since Bruce and Deb had already cut the carpet and padding, and we worked on trimming and setting it, and then Deb came over and we glued the seam. I got to learn how to strike a line on the carpet with a chalk coated string so we could cut a straighter edge. It's a very engaging activity for perfectionists. Thankfully I'm not too perfectionist, so it was just engaging enough to be fun.

We've stopped now, and Auntie Noline showed me how to make rice pudding. It's just out of the oven and we're drowning it in cream and marmalade. It feels like a Christmas holiday. Quite different from last night when I woke up at 3:30 thinking distressing thoughts and couldn't go back to sleep. Just when I think I've adjusted here, life kinks like a writhing water hose. And just when I think things are getting bad, new, undeserved joys get dumped in my lap.

I think I'm on an I've-had-more-caffeine-and-carpet-glue-and-less-sleep-than-usual high right now and need to break this cycle so I can get some rest...

Oh, check out the shirt I got at the Perpetual Ukrainian Yardsale this morning! (Featured in new profile picture) It's got my birth year on it AND it just happens to be my favorite color...a safe, comfortable, cozy, wintery dark gray...how could I resist, even if it does have a slight hippy flair with the tye dye there. Hehe.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cassie,
I hope you don't mind that I read your blog from Deb's site! I have to say you make me Praise God that my sissy and her family have an angel to help them. You are fantastic and amazing. I am ever grateful you are following the path of the Lord, to go to the Ukraine to be with them. I love reading your blogs and feeling apart of their lives through you! Thank you for all you do for them, it makes my heart smile since I can't be there.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cassie,
I hope you don't mind that I read your blog from Deb's site! I have to say you make me Praise God that my sissy and her family have an angel to help them. You are fantastic and amazing. I am ever grateful you are following the path of the Lord, to go to the Ukraine to be with them. I love reading your blogs and feeling apart of their lives through you! Thank you for all you do for them, it makes my heart smile since I can't be there.

Anonymous said...

Coooooool shirt! I guess you know I'll be expecting some of that rice pudding smothered in cream and marmilade come Christman

Anonymous said...

I guess you know the above comment is from Mom. And yes, I know I have yet to learn how to spell Christmas.

Anonymous said...

):, or more usually, :)

anonju

Cassie said...

Mom! You like rice pudding? Good! I was wondering who Christman was...

Lauren S. said...

Love Ya!

Leto Granger said...

I was here ;)

Connie said...

I can just see you being Sassy! Give 'em heck, lil sis! I'm sure Neil will love it!

Connie said...

I can just see you being Sassy! Give 'em heck, lil sis! I'm sure Neil will love it!