Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New (and Old) Food, Bee Sting, and Tucker

(From Aug. 23)

It’s afternoon and ya hochu pit stakan moloko…or something like that. I want to drink a glass of milk. Actually, I am drinking a glass of milk, except, I don’t know how to say that because I don’t know what to do with the verb “to drink” yet. Actually I think I said the whole sentence wrong and no Russian or Ukrainian person would understand me at all, but I try to boost my linguistic moral by stringing words together as if I really can speak Russian :) And of course, to try to impress you all. Do say you’re impressed.

Anyway…the glass of milk. We finally found some good milk. And I do mean GOOD milk! Like the little girl who had a little curl, “when it is good it is very, very good, but when it is bad it is horrid!” Isn’t “horrid” an expressive word? This milk was so fresh from the cow it was still warm when Deb bought it at the market. The dairy products go bad very quickly here, though, so you have to watch it. Last night I dumped three bags of the store milk down the sink because it reeked. (That word is for you, Connor.)

Since I’ve been here I haven’t tried a lot of new foods, although I have acquired a taste for marmalade on cheese, which is probably not a Ukrainian thing, it just happened to be in the fridge. Oh, and I’ve been enjoying the kefir! If you’re like me and hadn’t heard much about kefir before, it’s like yogurt’s robust older brother. Strong and healthy and alive with all sorts of wonderful bacteria. I’ve been told it’s very good for you, and can help calm you’re tummy. I tried a little back at the apartment, and the taste was so strong I could only drink a few sips. But it’s easy to get used to after a few tries and it’s almost addictive. I think it really does sooth your stomach. I haven’t really had stomach problems since I’ve been here, but the few times when I felt a little odd, it was soothing.

Kefir also very refreshing when it’s hot out. Yesterday I walked to the post office, and I really don’t know how far it was…it took about 45 minutes, but I was going at a leisurely pace, soaking up the sights and trying to get some pictures while there weren’t a lot of people around (it was mid afternoon) by the time I finished at the post office, I was warm and thirsty, so I went into the store next door, which carried an assortment of beer, scary looking fish, candy, juice, bread, cookies, and dairy products. And some sausage, I’m sure. I asked for some kefir, and after correcting my pronunciation (it’s ke-FEER with a rolled “r,” not KE-fur...yes, I’m from east Texas thank you…) the lady went to the fridge and brought out a bag of it like the bags they keep the milk in. Well, nyet, spasiba. I couldn’t very well drink out of a bag, so I settled on a small bottle of juice.

And one more thing that is absolutely delicious (but not Ukrainian, as far as I know) is fried banana. Deb made them yesterday and they were so good! I had always been curious about fried bananas but thought they were probably a little on the nasty side. But when I found out the kids liked them I thought maybe they’d be worth trying. If you haven’t had them before, definitely try! They would be especially yum on pancakes.

Deb just sliced the bananas (sort of older ones) long ways and laid them in the skillet with some melted butter, and fried them until they were mushy and a little brown. They get very sweet and syrupy without having any sugar added to them. Mmmm! I thought that’s a great, cheap way to satisfy a sweet tooth! You could even make it an official dessert with a little whipped cream and maybe chocolate syrup…

So, those are my thoughts on the food of late. I don’t know why I always find it necessary to explain what I’m eating. It’s not even anything that Ukrainian (well, maybe the kefir is). The staples of the Ukrainian diet seem to be rather predictable: bread, cheese, sausage, potatos, carrots, cabbage…other produce when in season. Right now there are lots of fruits and veggies, but I don’t know what it will be like in the winter.

The electricity has gone off twice today for short periods. It’s not really a big deal, except that when there’s no electricity there isn’t any water, either, because we’re on a well. But I don’t think it’s a normal occurance. I mean, I almost feel spoiled. My “morbidly cheerful” side kicks in and I always think “it could be so much worse!”

Today Bruce is laying the padding that goes under the living room carpet. The carpet has been cut and laying there, but it’s not officially down yet. It’s very nice gold colored carpet, and I like seeing the whole room bare with just that in it and the sun shining in. It’s nice not having too much to fill up the room. On the other hand, I think we will all be happy to sit on a couch again when the container comes!

I’m nursing a painful bee sting on my left arm. Earlier I was sitting on the floor in Bron’s room, trying to sew up a worn place in my jeans, and minding my own business, when I felt something crawling in my sleeve. It just tickled a little and I figured it was just an ant (which don’t bite here) so I foolishly left it alone, and then, ZAP! Wild stinging and a quick run to the bathroom for the vinegar, which Deb had told me would help if I got stung. There are a lot of bees around the house because the windows have been open, and there are no screens. The vicious stinger was still sticking out! Youch. I’m glad that none of the kids have been stung.

This morning I went outside and Tucker (5) came along, and we had some stimulating conversation about why trees have seed pods, why fuzzy things fly through the air, and how come leaves fall off the trees. Got a head full of thoughts, that one. I think he’s the fix it guy of the family. (Which they will desperately need here!) Even at five years old he’s always checking out the dryer and trying to figureout which buttons to press, how the lint filter opens, etc. And saying things like “Mom, I think the fan isn’t working because…” while examining the ailing fan.

When we go for walks, he’s always dragging and lagging behind the rest of us, head a million miles away. As Broderic said one day in Kiev during yet another Tuck delay, “It must be nice being the slow person in the family!” It can get to be a bother, but for the most part, I just find it endearing. Especially when he ambles along, gazing at the trees and flowers and sky, muttering Russian words to himself. :)

Anyhow, we were talking about the path in the woods, and he said “I saw a motorcycle and a holly dog on this road.” “And what’s a holly dog?” I asked. “Holly dogs are just light dogs that pass by and don’t bark,” Tuck replied, “well, some of them are dark, just kind of light dark, not black.” So the nice dogs are holly dogs.

A lot of the dogs here are NOT holly dogs, and they bark and try to come after you. Cheryl told me the other day to simply reach down as if I were picking up a rock to throw (and if I need to, pretend to throw it) and they’ll turn tail and run. Well, I tried it when I dog started running toward me barking, and it worked quite well!

There is not much going on today after the big week we had. So we’re doing the Ukrainian thing…taking a rest. Well, Bruce is still working on the carpet padding. I still wonder about what to “do.” I’m never sure where the line between laziness and relaxation is. And here in Ukraine, that is magnified. My Western mindset says that it’s what I do that counts, but here, getting things done is not that important to people. I think there are pros and cons to both mindsets, but I’m not sure how to know what the good part is. I feel a little lost in that today, because I feel pretty lethargic, and I don’t know whether I really should rest or if I’m just being a bum and using the tired excuse not to meet new people, work on Ukrainian, or something else.

7 comments:

Connor said...

You haven't ad borsch yet? Well, when you try the Borsch you need to make sure you put mayonaise in it. It sounds gross but it makes a world of difference.

Anonymous said...

Tell the bees' to mind their own business and keep their stingers of my sister!! Love you! Kate

Anonymous said...

Tell the bees' to mind their own business and keep their stingers of my sister!! Love you! Kate

Lauren S. said...

Hmm. I guess it doesn't matter which country we're in, because I am still struggling with the exact same thing about resting vs. doing. I've learned a lot about the resting part, both physically and spiritually, now I want to learn how to physically act while spiritually resting.

cassie said...

hehe :) Deep as always, Laurs.

cassie said...

hehe :) Deep as always, Laurs.

Bekah said...

Fried bananas are good. I've had them before.