Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Wood Chopping Party and a Few Honest Words

I was just majorly joyified by the discovery that my dear Anna has updated her blog like, a million times since she left me. I hadn't checked in a while because she had quit updating, so it was a very pleasant surprise.

This morning I had a laugh at the gas station when I went to buy ice for our "wood chopping party." As I hopped in the truck to leave, a guy pulled up and got out of the vehicle with four little boys, all about 6 and under. They all had blond hair, and all but the youngest had it shaved in a long mohawk with a sort of possum-like tail trailing down their necks! Yes, folks, this is East Texas :) I just love little boys. (Though that bunch looked like a pack of little terrors!)

As I mentioned before, we had a wood chopping party today. Dad cut down a few sweetgum trees in our side yard that would make good fire wood- ones that were leaning too close to the house anyway, I think. He got several guys from church to help him chop it up and stack it to be used for heating for the next winter or two. We have a wood stove, and we use it to heat the house most of the winter. It's very cozy, and saves money, too.

Mom and I spent the morning makin' vittles for the lumberjacks :) She made a berry cobbler and I worked on the burgers and then made sweet tea, which I characteristically forgot to stir the second time I added sugar. It was kind of fun, even though we both woke up exhausted this morning and didn't start out with much energy. (Ok, I woke up exhausted- Mom, on the other hand, didn't wake up exhausted because I don't think she ever went to sleep.)

Preparing lunch was fine with me. I was just everlastingly grateful I didn't have to get out there and haul firewood myself. Dad seems to have a plan to keep me active out of doors, but I think he knew this would prove a little too much for all of us :)

Hmm...I'm twisting my hair now, trying to churn up something to write. All I can think of is how tired I am and how irritated I am that I'm tired for what doesn't seem like a good enough reason (1:00 a.m. isn't that late), and how my neck is so full of knots it could be mistaken for a fishing net. And how it's horrible to be blogging my complaints and I really shouldn't because nobody wants to read about my pathetic ailments but I really want to talk about it because it's been on the verge of spilling over all day and my poor mom is sick of hearing about it, or maybe I just think she's sick of it so I haven't actually been talking about but shoving it all back inside to moulder instead (and is moulder even a word? I have no idea where I got it.) If I just get it out, I think I'll be ok.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I don't have a very good appetite, which is alarming to a healthy member of this family, where we eat three generally well-rounded meals a day, regardless of how we feel...I'm really not stressed or upset about anything, but my body is acting like it is. So. It and I will have to have a talk. And I will say:

"Listen here, you body of mine! No more nocturnal dreamland travels, no more wee-morning-hour thinks, no more restless tangling up in blankets at night. No more turning your nose up at perfectly decent food when our stomach says we're hungry! In the morning, you and I are going to eat a protein-rich breakfast without complaint like a good human being, and a hearty lunch, and so forth. You are going to be active in the day time and perfectly docile at night, and quit this sneaking around behind my back to stress over random things that I've decided not to fret about!! There now. Run along and play."

And I'm sure it will be perfectly obliging. Well. I feel better already. My goal is always to write honestly on my blog, but sometimes I feel like I have to put on a happy face for it to be worth reading. I'm really going to try to just be myself though, and write what is close at hand. If it's too depressing or complainy, then, oh well. Just "love me or leave me." :)

No comments: