Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wierd Dreams and A Mark Twain Book

Hmmm. It seems like time for a good blog post, but now that I have the chance to write, I can’t seem to collect the thoughts I had. Some of them condensed on my brain like water droplets while I weeded the garden this morning (Dad is determined to keep me from getting bored). Others emerged in the wee hours when I woke at 3:30 a.m. and entertained the cat with my tossing. Couldn’t sleep.

Mainly, I was composing imaginary updates that I would like to be writing from Ukraine :) I composed some blog entries and other literary masterpieces, as well, but I think they’re lost to history.

When I finally drifted off to sleep again, I dreamed that I was in Ukraine, in an apartment near a field. I can’t remember what happened, except that I was only there for a short visit. In the dream, I told Bronwyn, “I have to go home now (it was Thursday), but on Wednesday I’m coming back.” Then my Dad drove me home from Ukraine, and on the way we got in a hold up with a guy with a rifle who said we were trespassing on his land. I have no idea how it turned out.

A week or two I had another dream about Ukraine, in which I was feeding and changing a lot of babies. They weren’t the Crowes’, and they weren’t mine—I don’t know exactly whose they were. I thought I was in Ukraine, but then was aware that I couldn’t go outside without a headscarf, so…??? Was I a Babushka?

I also dreamed that I went exploring in the wilderness with two complete strangers. Maybe I was Sacagawea.

So far, I don’t think I’ve had any dreams with real meaning. I think with those kind, you know when you wake up that it was special. All I thought about waking up from last night’s dream was that I must have read too much of Mark Twain’s Roughing It yesterday while I was waiting for Grammie in the dentist’s office!

Roughing It is about two brothers who adventure to the wild west in a stagecoach after one of them is made the secretary of Nevada. So far there isn’t much plot, but plenty of characteristic Twainesque humor :) What a funny guy, and what a way with words. My favorite parts are what he has to say about the secretary’s dictionary, which pops up several times in the course of the travels.

(They were each allowed 25 lbs. of luggage on the coach)

“My brother, the Secretary, took along about four pounds of United States statues and six pounds of unabridged dictionary…”

(Later, when they are traveling through the night by stage, trying to sleep on top of stacks of mail in the coach.)

“…every time we flew down one bank and scrambled up another, the company inside got mixed somewhat…Every time we avalanched from one end of the stage to the other, the unabridged dictionary would come too; and every time it came it damaged somebody. One trip it “barked” the secretary’s elbow; the next trip it hurt me in the stomach, and the third it tilted Bemis’s nose up till he could look down his nostrils—he said.”

So, Mark Twain and the dreams of the Definitely Disturbed…

P.S. I did succeed in installing setting up Skype!!! I really did it! I haven't ventured to make a call yet, but at least I have the option now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats! on the skype thingy! have a great day! =]