Saturday, May 31, 2008

What is Means to Have a Nearsighted Soul

Wow. The "Honest Words" at the end of the last post set me to thinking. I said I wanted to be myself more on my blog instead of trying to avoid writing complaints or grumbles that I often have...

I realized that I may never have explained the name of my blog, "Notes from a Nearsighted Soul." I called it that because my aim in it is to write honestly about the close-up things in life. There are so many small things in our lives that beg to be taken under a microscope and written about- like kittens and berry picking and five-year-old boys. So when I sit down to write, I tend to peer around and pluck a few tender, ripe ideas that would go unnoticed from a larger, grander view. Hence my soul being "nearsighted."

Often, the "little things" in life are simple, happy, or funny. But sometimes the "little things" are not so idyillic, and I've felt uncertain about exposing those, too. When I do write about anything like tiredness, sickness, boredom, frustration, or chores, I feel apprehensive, fearing that it will bother or bore people.

If my aim is to write about the thoughts or things that are "close at hand," then I should write about the frustrating as well as the felicitous :) If you think about the blog as being nearsighted, there is room to remember that the little things in life, no matter how delightful or annoying, are just what is "seen in a glass dimly." My far sight, though a little weak and wavering at times, is set on God, whose unsearchable mystery engulfs my little world like a tidal wave.

"Thanks be to God, who has given us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

No comments: