Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hope, that Rather Fickle Bird

Here's a poem that describes my life today, inspired by the David Crowder song I heard twice on the radio yesterday that mentioned hope "taking flight." Picturing hope as a bird was a pretty effective image for me.

Hope is nesting like a bird
In the branches of my heart.
Eye has not seen, ear has not heard
Of heaven, but in part.

Hope takes flight when morning dawns,
At night come home to roost,
Still to this bode of stubble drawn
To resume her patient post.

"Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Heb. 11:1
"Without faith, it is impossible to please God. For him who comes to Him must believe that He exists, and that He is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek Him." Heb. 11:6

The primary work of my mundane life seems to be believing that hope is coming home for the night even when it looks like it has "taken wing."

Tomorrow we are leaving on a short camping trip to Albert Pike, Arkansas to relax as a family. It was sort of a sudden thing, and I have felt a bit overwhelmed by the tiniest things in life all of a sudden, but after all, I don't have a lot of pressing engagements at the moment, so it's a good time to go camping and be together. Mom has been incredibly busy and it will be good for her to take a load off.

We got the church cleaning done this morning, and this afternoon we'll pack up I guess. Somewhere in all this, I'm going to be buying my ticket to Ukraine as well...whoopee! There's one little exclamation mark in the day :) Just three months and I'll be gone! Very excited about that.

So, I won't be posting while out in the boondocks, I guess. By the amount of commenting going on I guess it doesn't matter too much...do I sound like Eeyore or what? Sorry, I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Seeing the world through puke-green colored glasses again...dear me. We'll be back Saturday night, so next week I'll mend the blogging breach. And maybe come back a little "cheerfuller," too. So long.

14 comments:

Julia said...

I hope your camping trip goes well, Cassie!

Julia said...

I can't wait to hear all about it.

Julia said...

I like your poem, too...it's beautiful.

Julia said...

Emily Dickinson wrote this:

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul..."

Julia said...

This is to make up for all the posts I didn't comment on. Sorry about that!

Love you!

The Peacock Pearl said...

i had the same idea julia.:) i read you blog, just don't comment much... i like to just soak it in :)

Lauren S. said...

Well, how can one comment when you post so many times in one day and I just checked this morning? I absolutely LOVED hanging out with y'all; it was about time. See ya again soon.

P.S. all your posts were wonderful. Dana was right about soaking them in.

Linda B said...

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful time camping! I am soaking up as much time as I can with our friends and then I've got a wedding to go to on Saturday. But when you get back, let me know what day next week EXCEPT Monday would be good for us to get together, okay?

Anonymous said...

I read them, but don't always coment! =] I like to think about it
before I leave a coment!

Mary said...

I read as well, I just don't like to post. I rarely post on any blog, so it's not your fault. I love your posts, and your blog is on of the few that I check eagerly to find what new thought you might present. :)

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Looks like a lot of people read, but don't comment. We all love to hear your thoughts, and we'll miss them while you're away. Everyone's already expressed how I feel about it. :) I hope you're having a good time camping!

Cassie said...

well, I'll keep blogging while I'm "away" too...

Bailey said...

I read too cassie! i luv to read ur posts, i am just really bad about commenting,sorry.


~Hi Kelly!