Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In which I consort with a mummy, a pirate, two superheros, and a small, messy lion

Yesterday, I was "along for the ride" when the Crowe kids went Trick or Treating at the nursing home...great hilarity! They made the nursing home residents SO HAPPY! I generally don't condone celebrating Halloween, especially after researching it a bit, but nothing could convince me it's wrong for a bunch of little kids to dress up and and go cheer up some lonely elderly people! They just loved giving the kiddos candy. I must say, I think the kiddos enjoyed getting it! ;)

When I came to the door yesterday morning, I was met by Rodgie the Mummy, who seemed to have some difficulty keeping his gauzy trappings intact. We also had Bron the Pirate complete with clip on gold earring and clip on parrot. Then there was Batman Brent and Superman Tucker. Clarky was a lion in a saggy baggy suit- soft, tote-able, and fun to pet. Noey was simply...himself. Adorable.

It's amazing how, while it seems so awkward for adults or, ok, kids acting like adults, (Me, at least) to relate to some of the people in the nursing home, the kids bring the hugest smiles to their faces with such little effort! Especially kids in costumes! Those withered hands reached from wheelchairs to offer candy on every side.

The kids, of course, were living it up. They were really polite and sweet, while at the same time, really enjoying their candy! Clarky trundled down the hall, slurping a multicolored sucker whilst his furry golden tail trailed behind. His ears stuck up, begging to be petted. Later, I saw him sucking a new lollipop, after losing the first in a sticky wasteland of lion hide. The new one was one of those vivid ocean-blue-rasberry sort, so his mouth was duly decorated. It only made his eyes look wider.

Since Deb, Bron, and Noah were going to art lessons, I got to take the rest home for some schooltime. First, though, we needed to document the scene via digital camera. Unfortunately, King Tut had already been having an "Unwrap the graveclothes and let him go" moment in the back seat, so I had to wrap him back up properly. I guess I wouldn't have made a good Egyptian. Everthing kept coming down and there were spots I never could seem to get covered. Fortunately, his white shirt was a good disguise. After saftey-pinning Rodge, rounding up the superheros, and herding the lion and his newly acquired Snickers bar (which was mostly melted all over his front) to the front sidewalk, then finding the camera, then rewrapping Rodge's toes, then retrieving Clarky, then arranging everyone for the shot...I finally snapped the picture. And re-snapped, because Clark wasn't looking. Then wanted to re-snap, because he wasn't looking again...but in the end, I think the picture turned out pretty well, considering. Rodgy trekked into the house and dismantled himself, with great relief. I expect that being swathed from head to toe in stripes of white clothe would become somewhat of a nuisance after a while!

Every time I see those kids, I'm reminded how amazing it is that I get to experience life with them every week!

4 comments:

Linda B said...

Sounds like a fun and challenging experience!

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhh........a little lion out fit? how cute! I was at Farm Fair at our church and was doing one of the bouths and 2 indcredibles came up and wanted to do a game. the little boy was about 4 and he had on huge gloves. he was so cute! anyways, love you and hope you have a great day! =)

Anonymous said...

:) anonju

tedforringer said...

You tell the cutest stories. :) It's neat that you are so close to the Crowe kids. These years are so special.