Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Surprise!

Today was a day of funny surprises.

I think the first one was the pomagranate I got at the library. I popped in for 15 minutes (It really was only fifteen minutes, though Connor would never believe that!) on a mission to find Pinocchio, by Carlo Collodi (Isn't that fun to say?). When I left, I had Pinocchio and a small pinkish pomagranate. Somebody had dumped a bunch of them on the front desk and the checker lady graciously bestowed one apon me. Yay for pomagranates! We ate those nearly every day in India last summer.

So then I strode out the library doors with a Stride of Triumph and Happiness. The sun was dazzling outside while rain was falling, which made the rain look like more or less like flying diamonds. The asphalt was all wet and warm and puddly and I ran and jumped in the van because I only had three minutes till my hair appointment.

I got to Guys and Gals on time since it's within sight of the library, and got my hair trimmed. I always am a little nervous over getting a haircut, but this time it was great and I left with the same Stride of Triumph and Happiness all over again! Confidence, too: a rare luxury! Virginia (who cuts my hair) is a very sweet, gentle lady and I greatly admire her patience. She's the perfect person to deal with a girl who's too shy and fashion illiterate to explain how she wants her hair cut! I really like it that she listens to you and doesn't just "experiment" on people's heads as if they were chia pets.

Surprise again, I doused myself with cold water while driving! Talk about distracting. And it was all gooey in my shoe.

When I reached Julia's house for a visit, I surprised her since she forgot I was coming and I forgot to call her to make sure it would still work out! She took the curveball with great grace and suggested we go for a walk on the campus next door. We strode along (pretty much with Triumph and Happiness) discussing jumping in rain puddles in public (which we didn't indulge in) and happened on a friend, which was also a surprise. We found a pleasant, shady picnic table and had some nice one on one time. Love that.

Then, since I knew no one at home would relish the pomagranate and special things are especially special when shared with someone special who will appreciate them, I got out the prized gem and Julia and I cut it open. Sadly, it was pale and tart because it wasn't ripe, but we still enjoyed it. Julia hadn't had a pomagranate before and she has an adventurous spirit, so I was glad we got to do that together.

I left at five and made a stop at Walmart on the way home (ok, that's no surprise) where I procured a pair of blue flowered pj pants. My own boldness astonishes me. I spent money! Surprise, Surprise!

P.S. I got all the green lights on High Street!

4 comments:

Leto Granger said...

You make me laugh; I love you. Mmm pomagranates aren't they lovely? You made me want one wich reminds me I think we have one in the fridge... So, so much for this comment!:) Bye.
Gracie

Linda B said...

So does your hair look any different, or did you just get it "trimmed"?

Anonymous said...

Good posts recently. And I am managing not to point out any typos... :)
anonju

Cassie said...

I only got my hair trimmed and "thinned" some...but it does look "different" simply because it's not the bush it was :) I lost SO MUCH hair and it's still a load up there. I just feel happier, lighter, and cleaner now! Hooray for hair cuts!