Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh for Hours to Dream With...

I want to get back to art again. To habitual writing and a rhythm of creating. I'm out of practice. I don't know if you've noticed, but it takes time to do anything creative. I don't just mean that you have to have time to physically sit down and write or learn to paint or whatever. I find that I need hours at a time to wander around in a dream before I'm good for much of anything creative.

College life, for all its glory, isn't conducive to that at all. American life isn't either, for that matter. But maybe the season will come again for wandering. Right now, my brain wants a rest. I think it has shoved the luxury portion of my vocabulary and my ability to think of stimulating sentence openers to the back closet to make room for efficient lists pinned to the fridge with pictures of my friends.

During this season, I'm hoping to train myself to create along the way with the words, thoughts, resources in front of me. Maybe something good will come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Along the way" is key. Meeting with the Creator often, whenever possible, as much as possible is what causes one to be creative. I find in my times with Him that it is a joy to welcome all kinds of dreamy thoughts and plans. But I love that He doesn't mind when we are tired and just want to gaze at a tree or something and not have to think of anything at all but the warmth of His love upon us in the moment. While Jesus was here in man form, I'm thinking that is what He was doing in the night in the garden or desert. Sadly, religion sometimes labels these kinds of thoughts as "distractions". I'm inclined to think its our one and only Lifeline, and the one discipline that leads to the abundance Jesus speaks of. Keep dreaming "along the way", Cass. We are all benefitting from the richness of your ability!
Love you,
Mom