Thursday, April 15, 2010

In Which I Prepare for War and Draw up Battle Lines Against a Bosom Enemy

Math. It wants to annihilate me. But here I stand, relatively unscathed at the end of the day, gazing across the battlefield at my crippled enemy. Tomorrow will be the true test-- exam 3, 9:00 sharp.

I was so giddy over getting an A on my last math test that I got a little overconfident. Thus I was quite unsuspecting of the sneaky ambush the enemy had planned this week...rational inequalities swooping out of nowhere to pluck out my eyeballs. Violent, I know.

Today, in distress, I called for reinforcements, hoping in the dusty but sometimes helpful skills of my brother. But alas, he could offer little aid. Seeing no other way to gain the upper hand in the conflict, I embarked on a reconnaissance mission to study the ways of the enemy. I met with Commander Abdulziz, a friendly tutor at Student Support building on Kilgore campus, a lengthy trek from home territory. A costly journey, too, in precious fuel, and since I was already exhausted from previous skirmishes and the wearing ways of war, I nearly fell asleep at numerous stops (that is, stop lights) along the way.

But under Abdulziz's patient tutelage I was able to gather valuable secrets and develop a plan. And now, I gather heart and hope, and take courage in both hands as I prepare for a blazing victory on the morrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No doubt whatever in my mind that you are due another A :)
Have you read anything by Ruth Pitter?
Some of what you write reminds me very slightly of her. I only found a bit about her recently, and like what I have seen so far.

anonju

Cassie said...

hmm...no. I'll have to check it out.

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.