Saturday, December 15, 2007

In Which People Graduate and I Reflect on the Violence of Change

After a flurry of cleaning, cooking, and other craziness, grandma arrived on Friday (from Tennessee) to spend a week with us. I'm so glad. Last time she was here was for my graduation in May, when, due to constant nervous headaches and lots of excitement, I didn't really get to spend memorable "quality" time with her.

Today we all went to the Letu. graduation, where we saw a lot of people we knew, sort of knew, and didn't know at all. I like living in a town with a college and going to a church with a lot of college students. There's something "alive" about it. Nothing gets stagnant, although, I'll admit that sometimes the changes are alarming to me, the way people go off and leave...Yesterday was Jeff and Cheri's 5th anniversary, and thinking about it, I really miss them all the way up there in Oregon with their little red headed girls. It's funny to think about the days when they were both single Letu. students at our church...and how different things are now. Of course, change is good.

Mainly we were going to the graduation ceremony to see Flic graduate. She is one of our Recently Adopted College Students (along with Cheryl...we just met them this semester). Cameron is our Unrecently Adopted College Student, whom we met over three years ago and is graduating in May. So, two bereavements in too short of a time. But of course, just like Jeff and Cheri, it's a GOOD thing. We couldn't keep all the smart, amazing people clustered up in Longview when the command is so clearly to "Go." I'm glad Flic is sticking around a bit before she Heads Off To The Wilds :)

It was my first time to be at a December grad. and the first time anyone at all had ever been to one in the Impressive, Imposing S.E. Belcher center. (I am forever being tempted to call it the Big Burpy Building, but have yet to succumb audibly!) The curtains are thrilling. All that sheeny, shimmery crimson velvet. So elegant! The whole building is pretty classy.

The ceremony was a bit long, and when the speaker sat down to give way to diploma handing-out, Ethan asked, "ARE WE LEAVING NOW?," to the audible amusement of some of the surrounding attendees. In spite of the length, I still was glad I went. There's something nice about a ceremony. It reminds you of all the sameness in this chaotic world of ours, even when mingled with most violent change (don't tell me that setting off into the world with that little piece of paper is not a violent act of courage.) The Pomp and Circumstance, the half-comical outfits and the tassels, sashes, and various wrappings, the rhythmic calling of names and delivering of diplomas...I viewed them all with a certain satisfaction, and, I regret to say, tittered shamelessly at the Alma Mater song. Couldn't help myself. It's nothing against Letourneau-- I just think that school songs in general are corny. Anyone who's offended, please forgive me!

After the last tasseled heads disappeared down the aisles, we fought our way outside to talk with Flic and her cluster, to take pictures, have hugs, etc. I'm very proud of her...she's been a sweet friend, and she's going to be a great teacher. So fun and motherly :)

2 comments:

Linda B said...

Umm . . . I think everyone was tittering at the Alma Mater. It is just plain silly. Although, as Lina points out, ETBU's is even worse!

Anonymous said...

Big Burpy Building... Good one. :)

Anonju