Friday, June 5, 2009

The Flower Girl Ruined My Wedding

This morning was one of those mornings when I wrapped myself in my fuzzy blue blanket and huddled in bed fervently praying between snooze alarms for the will power to rise from my bed. Sinus trouble lately.

Anyway, I did get up, as I always inevitably do, and I put on some normal sort of clothes and decided to brighten up a little by wearing my favorite earrings-- the dangly silver ones my 6-year-old friend Eric gave me for my eighteenth birthday. I hastily put them on and left.

Deb's sis is visiting here this week, and they seem to be having a blast together. Today they went to Kiev to spend the night and have some girl time, so I came to watch the kids today, because Bruce was in Kiev for the day. So I greeted them, said bye to them, and had continued on my merry way for an hour or two before I looked in the mirror and saw, to my acute embarressment, that I had two different earrings in my ears!

I've only done this one other time that I remember (and it was worse, because I went out to breakfast with my friend Chelsea, who notices those things, and we were in public). Of course, I may have done it countless other times and not ever realized it. If you ever see me with two different earring in my ears, please graciously let me know.

This incident pretty much describes my life at the moment. Actually, lots of exciting things are happening right now, and I'm glad. But I tend to hover more or less in a state of dazedness. I think I'm tired.

Masha and I had several girls over at different times during the past week for supper, or tea, or to spend the night, or both or two at once or all three. I got a lot of Russian practice, and found that I was even wanting to try speaking Ukrainian one night when I felt particularly relaxed. Russian seems harsh to me, but I love Urkainian. It's much more musical, and although the alphabet is almost the same as in Russian, the few changes soften it and keep it from looking so intimidating. I feel like it's a little too late now to be learning Ukrainian.

What else has been keeping me so busy? How could I have forgotten! I almost got married on Wednesday night! Sorry, it was all so sudden I didn't have a chance to send out announcements or anything. In fact, I was planning to mail the bouquet to my mom, but I regret to report that the flower girl ate it. Unfortunately I don't have the photos, either, because they are still on Masha's camera.

It happened like this. Two friends (both named Anya) were spending the night at our place, and Masha was digging through boxes finding dress up stuff she has for skits for English Camp. She produced a wedding veil and a black top hat from a box. She got all excited.

"You have to try these on!" she told Anya and I (the "new" Anya, as I call her, because I met her only a few weeks ago.) We tried the things on and took pictures, and pretended to serenade each other with Masha's guitar, and she took picutures of that. And then my brilliant Masha had an epiphany and got a white summer dress out of her cupboard for me (since I was in the veil at the time) and a black dress coat and pants for Anya. We made a stunning bride and "broom," as Masha likes to say.

And then we recruited, or I should say Masha recruited Nasok to be the flower girl. We thought it would be droll to have him holding the flower in his mouth. But mostly the other Anya, who came in in the middle of our game when I was standing there in my wedding dress and navy blue house shoes, just got shots of Masha trying to shove the rose stem into Nasok's mouth while Anya and I struck wedding photo-ish poses. Finally Nasok chewed the rose off its stem, so we decided to call the wedding off after all. It wasn't really working out :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope this isn't a prediction of what your real wedding is going to be like.......:)
Kate

Cassie said...

Probably not. There would be some pretty dramatic personality changes before I would have a dog at my wedding.