Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blood but (thankfully) No Guts

We did it!

Bruce and Deb just got back from their trip and I'm happy to report that we at home all survived, and what's more, have full use of our faculties to tell about. I would venture to say that we are all happy, even. Who needs extreme sports? I'm into Extreme Babysitting.

Today there was more blood and gore than usual. It started when Noah came wailing into the house with blood smeared over his bare tummy and mouth and dripping from his fingers. Naturally I was a little alarmed, but instinctively felt that it wasn't as bad as it looked. All that blood came from two small cuts on his fingers where he had picked up a piece of glass outside. Definitely sad for him, but no severed arteries! I cleaned him up and gave him candy to try and quell the anguished cries. We didn't have any small bandaids, so I tried bandaging the little injured fingers with paper towels and tape. Poor little guy. It worked ok for a while, but he got upset eventually and ended up having an early nap. Which was not the end of the world.

Twice during the day I had a thorn in the flesh interrupting my housecleaning when my nose started streaming blood. Nosebleeds are very rare for me, so I felt a little freaked out laying flat on my back with toilet paper stuffed in my nose and blood draining down my throat. While making supper I stuck wadded kleenex up my nose to prevent further deluges, which was entertaining for the kids at least. "What is that thing in your nose, Cass?" I couldn't keep a straight face when they looked at me.

In the afternoon we had a casualty of war when Tucker got beaned in the nose/forehead with a grenade, er, metal spray can during a battle outside. It was a large one, and it left a nice bruise and some scratches on poor Tuck's head. I gave him a plastic baggy of ice to put on it, and I think he recovered pretty quickly, because next time I saw him he was contorting his mouth around the corner of the bag trying to slurp ice water out of the tiny hole he had made.

Those were the sum of our crises for the day. I am tired but marvelling at the energy God supplied this week. I really enjoyed the kids. We had our moments of course, but hopefully we made some memories to treasure before I leave in two weeks' time. I can't believe these little sprouts will all grow up into men and women (woman, I should say). That will be something to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Any pictures of that tissue???
Kate
ps.12DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie said...

Wow. You sound like a Mom! I want to visit with you when you come home!