Friday, May 29, 2009

Midnight Snack at 9

Life is fun. Here are a few reasons why.

This is the alphabet according to Tucker:

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y n z

His perfectly logical question: "Why are there two "n's" in the alphabet? Haven't you always wondered the same thing? And why God's name is "Harold" and what in the world a "one horse soap-n-sleigh" is?

Today I got a much needed sleep in. I keep planning to a) go to bed earlier and b) wake up later but life doesn't work that way, most of the time. Which is fine. If you want to live a fuller life, just pretend you're leaving the country in less than two months...or better yet, do it...you're a lot more likely to take the crazy opportunities that present themselves.

A few nights ago I almost made it. I had been writing and just having a sort of pleasant, boring kind of evening, and I looked up, saw that it was 9 pm, and decided, "Tonight's the night. I'm going to bed early. I'm getting some sleep." Then Masha walked in. Since she's recovering from her operation she keeps weirder hours than usual and sleeps for most of the hours other people are awake. Naturally she wants to be awake during the hours other people want to be asleep, and she wants other people to be awake at those times too. Other people means me.

She also wanted pancakes. She has been pining for pancakes for days, ever since that jar of apple jam made its home on our kitchen table. So she whipped up a batch of kefir pancakes with her amazing whipping up skils and I got my little collection of saggy candles, and we put a nice, mellow cd in the stereo, and had what she called a "midnight snack." "Midnight for some people," she added.

I was very glad. I didn't want to sleep that much after all. At 10, Cheryl dropped in. She ate the three tiny remaining pancakes (Masha and I had no trouble doing away with the rest) and visited with us.

Well, for now, I'll once more attemp going home and going to sleep. May your days be full of tea-time conversations and your nights with candlelight pancakes...

5 comments:

Lauren S. said...

I finally have my email and internet back so I got to read your update today. I hope to start a blog for Ellen and Nathan soon and then you'll be able to get an idea of what I'm up to. I'm having a blast in general and right now I'm enjoying, yes, Enjoying a sunburn on my shoulders. =)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.....you'll have to bring that pancake recipe home. I never thought I'd say this but I'm craving one of your weird concoctions.:) Not too weird though, so don't get any ideas...:)

Kate

Cassie said...

Hmm...weird concoctions. I have a few in mind...

Connie said...

I love the way you put things into words. Thanks for making me smile, and making me think.

Julia said...

When I was little, I was also firmly convinced that there were two n's in the alphabet. I had a chart with the alphabet on it, and I thought it was printed incorrectly because there was no "n" between "y" and "z." =D