Thursday, February 5, 2009

Big Words in a Little Mouth

I don't have lots of time to blog at the moment because I need to get home and do a few things. (Namely, clean up around the house, eat supper, finish some letters, study Russian before prayer meeting at 7. haha.) But I'll blog anyway.

Today I was building a tower out of Jenga blocks with Clark, and I told him,

"Here, put the blocks this way, perpendicular to the other ones." Obviously, he doesn't have a clue what "perpendicular" means, but I wanted to see if I could get him to say the word, just for kicks.

"Say "perpendicular," Clark," I coaxed. He just stared at me. I said it again.

"Per-pen-dic-u-lar." I remembered the way the Pimsleur language program teaches new long words. On my Russian cd, the guy would start with the last syllables and work backward so that it was easier to grasp. For example, if the word was "Izvenitye," (Excuse me) he'd say:

"ye" (I repeat it)
"itye"
"venitye"
"Izvenitye"

It seems a lot easier to get a grip on the word when you practice it that way. So I said,

"Can you say "dic-u-lar," Clark?
"dic'lar"
"pen-dic-u-lar"
"pen-dic-a-ler"
"Now, per-pen-dic-u-lar."
"per-pen-tic-a-ler!" he cried in triumph. "They're perpenticaler!"

Perpenticaler they were, indeed :) It's so fun seeing kids master big words. I wonder what words Ethan's coming out with these days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! Thats soooo cute!!
Ummmmmmm....I'm trying to think of something that Ethan has said latley but nothing comes to mind. Hmmmmmm....Love ya!!

Kate

Leto Granger said...

Kids are so fun. Love you Cass

Linda B said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Cassie! Have a cup of tea and eat some chocolate . . .

Cassie said...

I've done both already :)