Friday, June 29, 2007

A Seasonal Lament for Earthworms

It suddenly hit me today that its summer. Actually, it sort of slithered down my back in a sweaty trickle while I was taking a walk with Mattie. We got soaked out there, and it was only 10:30 in the morning! In fact, we were so miserable, and the misery was all in the name of responsible exercise, so we decided to crash the pool next door, for just a short swim. Far too short for Mattie, whose jaw dropped several inches when I gave the five minute warning. That girl is going to morph into a mermaid or something. Well, she might not like me using the word mermaid, I just mean...those are more human than fish. She just likes the water. That's what I mean.

On the way up the driveway after we'd donned our swimming suits, we found a sad sight- one of those cruel effects of summer (besides making you sweat to death.) A fat, bulgy earthworm was wriggling helplessly along the driveway, about to start sizzling on the oil dirt. We pitied it. At least, I did. I'm not sure what Mattie did. "Poor little earthworm..." I said, with this wierd compassion welling up in me from a forgotten childhood corner. Isn't it a mystery how you can suddenly have this emotional empathy thing going on for an earthworm? I mean, the creatures don't even have heads. What's more, they feel disgusting. Now, tent worms- those fuzzy striped caterpillar types- those are actually really cute, kind of like miniature kittens or something. But earthworms don't even have personality.

Ok, so I did the inevitable. Shoving down my loathing for slimy earthworm surface, I plucked the little fella up off the driveway and threw him into the grass (it was probably a him, I really don't know.) Compassionate feelings don't do anybody any good if they don't produce action.

By now, it probably looks like I'm an environmentalist freak of some sort- but I'm not. I'm really not! I just have a childish propensity to rescue distressed earthworms. I honestly don't have an environmentalist bone in my body. If you know my dad, you know what I mean.

So, it's summer...my siblings and cousins are playing together, chocolate chip cookies are baking, and I'm happily blogging while probably numerous earthworms are frying outside on the driveway. But its ok. This is Texas. This is summer. This is life. :)

3 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

i always felt bad for the earthworms, but i never saw them until they were crispy and flat... by then it's a little too late! :P

Anonymous said...

I clicked into your blog and was quite shocked at the title =). But I did enjoy the post! Personally, I always liked earthworms. Holding them. I always thought it was wierd when a friend would come over and I'd pick one up. More often than not, she'd be grossed out and say I was really brave.

You were really brave. =)

Now tentworms, on the other hand, are some of the few creepy-crawlies that really make my stomach turn. Eeew. Those and tarantulas. And Junebugs in my ear. Evidently, this is possible and has happened (to others) on numerous occasions.

I enjoyed the story- have a beautiful day! =) Hope to see you tonight at the coffeehouse!

Linda B said...

I'm not sure if I'd have a lot of sympathy for a stranded earthworm or not. MY childhood memories are of having to walk to school after or during a heavy rain, when the sidewalks would be completely covered with wiggling earthworms. Nowhere to step without squishing at least one every time! Euwwww!