Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cannonball off the High Dive

The lamp throws a warm light around the room. The air conditioning unit thrums rythmically in the corner. Emily Dickinson sits calm and green on the desk beside me in the quiet room. A book of her poems, that is. And I? I'm finally at college, in a dorm of my own.

As it happens, my room mate hasn't shown her face yet. So I have a room (a big room!) to myself until she materializes, or someone takes her place. Which I expect to be any day now.

I definitely won't be able to recount all the bliss and whirlwind of the past few days since I arrived for orientation on Saturday. (Is it really Tuesday night?) It feels like a year since I left. In a good way.

After yesterday's extreme schedule makeover, I find myself the proud, happy, and excited enrollee of an Ancient/Near East Archaeology class and a Conflict Transformation class, plus Appalachian Literature taught by a local author I'm already really appreciating. Also a writing class and a health class.

Berea is crawling with possibilities. Opportunities. Chances to try things I've always wanted to do and didn't have the guts to. I know that voice lessons, cross country running, and swing dancing aren't fear factor fare for most folks. But for me, it's what Hasan Davis at freshman convocations called "the cannonball off the high dive." Now is the time to leave behind the excuses we've always carried around with us.

I love my home, but in a way I feel like a prisoner released from a life sentence, or a cancer patient restored to health. Being landed a place like Berea with $100,000 tuition covered and everything from free laptop and very low cost music lessons to unbelievable study abroad options feels like being handed a new life.

It's not just the opportunities though-- it's the atmosphere. I'm quick to let others "name" me and allow the tradition of who I've been and how I feel defined by myself and others rule everything I do and don't do. I have my excuses following me around like mongrels on a leash, yapping at my heels. And anybody who really knows me would wonder why I'd stay okay with that, 'cause I'm certainly not a fan of dogs.

The biggest thing that has impressed me so far at Berea is the diversity and respect that is cultivated in this place. I don't agree with everything condoned by people on campus. Or a lot of the things. But I can't begin to say what pleasure I get from seeing black people and white people walking around on campus together, looking an African American in the eyes and smiling like we're actually friends. Cause we are. And for some reason, even when I wanted that to be a possibility, it was a struggle at my community college at home.

I can't begin to tell you the relief, surprise, and dignity I feel when, in an auditorium NOT homogonously Christian or even religious, students can stand on stage and say they want to stay a virgin in college, and the place erupts in cheers. Respect. I feel it for real here. And I like it a lot.

I feel like I've entered some kind of bubble, some kind of dream world. I have four years here max. I want everything to count. I want to love people. I want to do the things I've craved and dreaded. In the midst of it, the heart of it, I want the Holy Spirit to be my Teacher. I want to listen and hear "This the way, walk in it."

I want to ask the important questions, like "How do you see me?" and hear Him say, as I felt Him say to me out of the blue during a very worldview-challenging session, "I think you're beautiful." I want to constantly exalt Him to the highest place, because He deserves it. I want to give everything to Him because $100,000 tuition is nothing to the new start He has given me by the sacrifice of His Son's beautiful life.

A guy named Jake in Ukraine talked to us in a retreat about how he always thinks of the scene from The Count of Monte Cristo (movie) where the main character beats the pirate Jacapo in a fight (I think this is what happens; it's been a while since I've seen it) and Jacapo, after being mercifully released from death, pledges his life to serve him. His words in that piratey accent keep coming to mind, "I am your man forever."

I guess the gospel shoulders fresh meaning when I realize that He's offered me every opportunity for new life free from the fear, guilt, and shame that was always dogging me, if only I would step up to the challenge of faith. The challenge to obey His Word and see what happens, forsaking every doubt, fear, and self-will for the sake of an enduring loyalty for the Friend of Friends, who first gave His love to me.

It's time for the cannonball off the high dive.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

All God's best for college and beyond.
Peace.


anonju

Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed reading this. You're an interesting writer. You should come work for us in PR! - Jay, Berea College PR

Katie said...

Best of luck with your journey at Berea. I was in your shoes 9 years ago and Berea was, without a doubt, a great place for me. Opportunities abound, as you have realized already and the support network is phenomenal. Take advantage of the opportunities, but also of the freedom and the fun. After reading your post, I want to go back 9 years myself, to Pearsons' second floor and hang out with my hall mates, enjoying freshman year and the adventures that came with it.

Lauren S. said...

I am so happy for you. =D

Marmee Janet said...

Thanks for putting your thoughts into words, Cassie. You reflect the glory of God and his very alive LIFE and I am privileged to have some of it rubbing off on me. Keep it up, dear girl!

Anonymous said...

I came across your story via facebook, and I have to say, I am very excited for you. I am excited that you are excited about Berea. When I first began my education at Berea, I did not have the same outlook as you do, and I can tell you now that I regret it. I wish I would have taken advantage of more things that Berea has to offer earlier on. As you are already learning, Berea has some really amazing opportunities, and there are amazing people there to support you along the way. Study hard, but make sure you have fun, too :)

The Peacock Pearl said...

SO exciting!!! soak it in baby! soak it all in! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Berea Bubble!

It really is a great place to go to college. I know I wouldn't be who I am today and have the goals and experiences that I do without Berea.

And be sure to take advantage of everything they have to offer. My 1 regret is not traveling abroad while at Berea. So don't miss out.

And I'm sure they will give you another roommate. But at least your freshman dorm has A/C. When I was starting out there just 6 years ago, I lived in Pearsons (before the remodel) and there was no A/C. So appreciate the little things! :)

Good Luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful 4 years! I bet you will. Because they have been the best 4 of my life so far! :)

Cassie said...

Yes...three days without AC at the beginning made me really thankful for the "little" things!

People seem to be worrying that I'm not having fun...maybe just because you don't know me :) I'm definitely having fun! The country dance on main street for example, was great. I got dizzier than I've been in quite a while :D

Katie said...

I think we're not necessarily worrying that you're not having fun now, but sensing from your writing (because we don't know you) that you seem to be very serious about college. This is definitely a good thing, but balance is everything. I know people who went too far in either direction and when you start college, especially first semester, finding that balance can be tricky. Street dances, convos, clubs, etc are a good way to help with that. And, if you have problems with dizziness, try staring into your partner's eyes. It can be nerve-racking, but you won't be dizzy anymore.

Anonymous said...

If you are diving with canon balls and so on you may not have time for this right now, but here it is anyway.
http://magistramater.xanga.com/731737704/the-lost-heart-of-asia/?page=1&jump=1516010276&leftcmt=1#1516010276

I cannot get hold of the book at present, so have not read it. Recommending an unread book is not something to do often :) But if you are living dangerously with all the diving stuff, you may even want to dive into an unknown book.
anonju

Anonymous said...

So proud of you and excited for you, Cass. So glad you are a short distance away this time! Ha!
Love you, Mom

Jen said...

Extraordinary words! Berea is indeed special, and your enthusiasm is well warranted. Best wishes!

Connie said...

The freshman are filling the Letourneau campus as well, and that feeling of the recognition of the world of possibilities at your feet--is palpable. At least to me! Such an exciting time--so glad you're ready to make the most of it, Cassie. I, too, reveled in the opportunity to shed some of who I was in the past when I went to college. It was a wonderful time.

I have a touch of that same feeling now, as the Lord is bringing us to a new phase of our lives--the world of possiblilites. I'm so grateful to Him! Life is sweet, and He is most definitely not a tame God. ;)

Jackie said...

I read your post a week ago and checked back because I was wondering if you ever got a roommate. We said goodbye to our niece on Saturday after the dedication ceremony. She is playing on the soccer team and living in Pearson's also with a great roomie. Maybe you will meet, she has a God filled heart and loves her Jesus! I am anxious to hear more of your journey in Berea!