Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chickpea to Cook

"A chickpea leaps almost over the rim of the pot
where it's being boiled.

"Why are you doing this to me?"

The cook knocks him down with the ladle.

"Don't you try to jump out.
You think I'm torturing you.
I'm giving you flavor,
so you can mix with spices and rice...

Eventually the chickpea
will say to the cook...

You're my cook, my driver,
my way into existence. I love your cooking..."

-Rumi
From "Chickpea to Cook"
(Coleman Barks translation)


I tried making a chickpea curry for the first time a few days ago. It was surprisingly good. I didn't have to hit my chickpeas much, because it was more simmering than boiling. I went the easy route and used canned chickpeas.

I was going to write something about the honest terror I feel at leaving most of what I know and love to go to college in another state (don't try to comfort me with shallow platitudes; they've already told me it's a wonderful opportunity and how I'll make lots of friends, etc.) New friends are great. I would just like to keep the old ones too.

I don't want to be melancholy, because I said I was going to practice gratitude instead. And because I know in a short time, most of the shallow platitudes will prove to be true. Even if it involves some boiling.

Because, eventually the chickpea will say to the cook...

No comments: