Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Unfairness of Time and Grammar

Sometimes life feels unfair. And maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I hardly feel the unfairness more keenly than when hearing grammar technicalities being applied to writing. The Henry David Thoreau in me that would stare at a single, crimson leaf for three hours at a time feels a sort of dying sadness when writing has to become scientific. I could cry.

It's fall, the best time to write. Alumni field is full of fog below my dorm in the morning, and just before dusk the yellow flowers there look like they're going to miss the sun. A lot. "It's crispy outside," I told Mikheil, when we went to the Labor Office. Crispy can be chicken nuggets, but it can also be aged leaves and fresh notebook pages. And that's why it's time to write.

Time is the key, though. Writing feels like something illegal when I've got homework due. My classes are billowing with assignments that feel like they're hung out on a clothesline in my back yard in a gale with gimpy safety pins. Some of them fly away and are forgotten, to my chagrin and shame.

Last night I sat on my bed and skimmed through a chapter of a writing handbook. It was very well made, and I liked it as writing handbooks go. But I guess I felt a little of that dying inside when I thought of applying science to my soul. And citations. There won't be those in heaven, I think. We'll just know who said what and whose research that really was and MLA and Chicago Style will cease. Hallelujah. Forever and Ever, Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing well :)
but don't read too much about writing. Please "just" write. And if we get to see some of it on this blog, so much the better.

Anonju

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Anonju.
Your blog entries are a treat, and I don't think that's just because I'm a mother being her usual partial self. Much love, Mom

Connie said...

I love reading your thoughts, Cassie. Let those assignments hang out to dry for just a while every few days so you can let us know what you are thinking.

Connor said...

aged leaves and fresh notebook pages....a chilly but dry morning (crsip air) I can picture the moment. I'm ready for it too.