Thursday, April 23, 2009

Life for Real

I'm thinking about fairytales again. And something much more real than a fairytale. I told you I was listening to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader on audio cd...well, now I've finished that and started The Silver Chair.

This morning I was in the kitchen washing up. It was Home Group last night, and there was Deb's lauded soup, so there were bowls...and bowls...and more bowls smeared with the leftovers of something cream based and spinachy and probably delicious in its hour. I didn't mind the dishes.

Some people talk about having "laundry days." Sometimes we have "dish days." Thursdays especially, after Home Group. But there's something about a kitchen drowning in dirty dishes that throws out its taunt, its challenge, its ultimatum, and I step forward into the fray and deal it a look that silently roars, "Gimme what ya got!!"

This morning though, my mind was elsewhere, and the battle was going at a slower rate, more scattered, and you'd never have guessed I was "taking anything on." Nope.

I moved around the kitchen feeling dazed. For one thing, making too many turns in such a short time resulted in a queer carsick-y sensation in the aftermath of the stomach bug. The sun was dazzling me through the open window, shining in the warm water as it flowed from the tap into greasy pot and soup-encrusted bowl.

What was I just doing? Oh yeah, those clean dishes in drying rack. Put dishes away. Teal collander. Stainless steel spatula. Saucepans. The counter is covered in crumbs. Whose toast is smoking in the toaster? I'll wipe the counter. Water is running on my cloth.

"'I tell you the water's sweet,' said the Mouse. 'Sweet, fresh. It isn't salt...'

'Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.'"

"Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." John 4:14

Jesus, I want you.

Pot is full of greasy water. I'll clean it right now. But the drying rack is still full. Let's empty that first. Teal collander. Stainless steel spatula. Saucepans. The counter is covered in...where is that dishcloth? What, you need toast too? Sure. Here you go.

"'Come and have breakfast,' the Lamb said...Then they noticed for the first time that there was a fire lit on the grass and fish roasting on it. They sat down and ate the fish, hungry now for the first time for many days. And it was the most delicious food they had ever tasted."

"Jesus said to them, 'Come and have breakfast"...Jesus came and took the bread, and gave them, and the fish likewise." John 21:12a-13

Jesus, what would it be like for you to invite me for breakfast?

There are some more plastic bowls from last night. Green, blue, orange. No more room in the dishwasher? I'll just wash them in the sink. Warm water running in the sun. I really should put those dishes away. Teal collander. Stainless steel spatula. Saucepans. But look at the counter! Can't put the jam away yet. Who still needs jam on their toast? It's all over the counter. Where's the knife that was in the jam? Ok. I'll wash one. Sun in the water.

"'Lucy, do not look so sad. We shall meet soon again.' 'Please, Aslan,' said Lucy, 'What do you call soon?"

"I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and recieve you to myself, that where I am, there you may be also."
John 14:2a-3

Jesus, I long for you.

Wait, is there a knife in the drying...what? Teal collander? Stainless steel spatula? Saucepans? This counter sure is covered in...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of one of those April afternoons, when your sitting on the porch and its warm. Some lazy bees are buzzing around.....your kind of sleepy........drowsy.....warm sunlight......
Kate

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here sobbing with longing for home as I read this.

I love you, Cass. I miss you, Cass. I need one of your back rubs, Cass. Your precious, Cass.

Mom

Anonymous said...

You ladies are too wonderful for words and I pray heaps of the Lord's presence on your whole family!
Cast your burdens on Him and He will give you peace.
We love, love, love you all!!!

Jono said...

I got RSS feeds working again!!
this is a great blog Cassie
i love the way you think and then put those thoughts to paper (or digitalise them for us)