Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Down for a Day

Back from the dead. Yesterday I woke up around 4 am with the certainty of impending doom, that is, puke...the tummy bug had infected me, too. I laid in agony till 4:30, when I got up and did the inevitable, went to bed for an hour or so, got up and puked again, and repeated the process. I hope Deb's world famous curry (which I had the night before) is not forever ruined for my taste buds.

The day seemed to slide by quickly, though I spent it languishing in bed in a mass of blankets until about 2 or 3. The sunlight came in around the edges of the curtains, and I guess I slept a good bit.

In a bold effort I rallied and set up camp on the couch in the lounge room, picked like a bird at a handful of cheerios, and tried to read. Massive headache. Then wobbled through a dizzy haze to the stereo and put in the first audio cd of the Chronicles of Narnia book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

That was beautiful. For the next few hours I was whisked away on the Narnian breeze with Edmund and Lucy and noble Prince Caspian, and the incorrigible, nuisance- turned-nice Eustace. In spite of myself, I giggled aloud over the Dufflepuds and the kind old grandfatherly magician and Lucy's accent.

The hours pulled on. Tried to eat soup. Too puny to take a shower. Attempted another book, against my better judgement. Finally lay listening to music, letting it soak into my helplessness. All day, in the intervals between books and Narnia, scenes from the past couple years of my life played themselves over in my mind like a movie. They were jumbled, and I wanted them to come out clear so I could see what really happened. It was odd. Narnia was better.

Finally I went to bed, thinking I might not sleep well after being in bed all day. But with some painkillers I went to sleep and slept almost normally, and woke this morning still a bit unsteady, but much, much better. Deb picked me up this morning, because she and Bruce had an important visit to make with their good friends at the OVIR office for registration (oh joy!) So we're taking it slow around here today. Tuck is the only one who has been sick at the Crowes, which I'm glad of. In his words,

"It was sweating all over me like lava, and that's what made me sick!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Camomile tea.:)
Kate

Connie said...

Aw. At least now you know why your brain was "mush" on Monday--you were coming down with the yucky stomach thing! Here's praying that it stops with the two of you.