Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rainy Days

Call it strange, but a few hours ago I was dismayed to discover that the sun had actually come out after at least a day and a half of foggy drippiness. I love the sweet comfort of a rainy day. The world seems to slow down to rest under the shelter of close, damp clouds. When the sun comes out, it's as if it's saying, "All right, everybody up, we've got to get back with it!"

I love being home on a rainy day. This morning and yesterday morning I got treated to a nice long reading-in-the-chair time with Ethan. I'd forgotten how much I missed reading to him until he came to me after breakfast with his large puppy dog eyes and moping mile-long lashes and said, "Cassie, will you read a book to me?" I melted. It's like Mom says to him..."Get those eyes under control!"

I was delighted to read to him, because since I've been working I haven't gotten to do that. I had just had coffee with Mom and then breakfast, and it was already late and I hadn't showered yet, but all I wanted to do was stop and read. So we did. It was wet and quiet out, which brought the delightful sensation of being outside of time. We read about Sir Roland and the Knights of the Silver Shield (Sir Roland is so my favorite!) and then about What's His Face who fought the Minataur, and some other books. When we finally finished the stories, I wanted to rock him, and to my delight, he consented. It's only too clear to me that when I come back from Ukraine, he probably won't want me to rock him any more. And he may be able to read on his own. So I held him close, all cuddled in a fuzzy blanket, and rocked away with all my might. I wanted it to go on forever, but that wasn't to be. Soon enough, he was lifting up his head and asking, "Cassie, will you get me a drink of water?" "But I don't want to let you go," I protested. "But I'm thirsty," was the matter-of-fact reply. Nothing to argue with. Forced cuddling isn't that nice, anyway, so I didn't push it.

Today we read Moomintroll, Mymble, and Little My (the best kids' book barring Dr. Seuss!) and The Great Corgiville Kidnapping and P.J. Funnybunny and A Time to Keep (a book about seasons done in sweet watercolors by Tasha Tudor). But no cuddling today.

No matter how much laundry or dishes or cares there may be at home, I can't help but love it here. Like Mom says, it's a little monastery, and I know it's God's gift to me in this season of my life.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It's not strange. It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

:)
anonjuwho?