Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Little Disallusionment

I woke up this morning to a delicious freezing grey wetness outside my window, a roaring fire in the stove, and coffee brewing in the kitchen. I'm marvelling over having two Saturdays in a row (yesterday felt like a Saturday, and lo and behold, I wake up to another one today!) Wow. Wow again. I don't know what else to say without writing way too much and irritating my dear brother who really wants to get on this computer in the next half hour.

As for Nano...44,215 words and counting...getting to 50,000 no longer concerns me. It's finishing the story that I'm worried about. It's looking like I'm going to need another couple of weeks to finish...at least one...and as of December first I am sworn to sign my life over to sewing a knight costume for my littlest bro.

The truth is, I'm scared silly of editing, revising, and having to persevere, and I keep writing with a feeling that I'm producing pig slop. I don't even know what I'm trying to write in the story...I can't figure out any reasonable motives my characters would have for their actions, and I feel like I've built a completely idiotic story on a sand dune...and the tide is coming in very rapidly. Sure, I'm making my 50,000 word goal, but I was hoping to have something decent to show for it. Hmm. I'll have to just keep pressing on and see what happens. Perhaps I will kidnap an unsuspecting friend, lock them in the dungeon (er, my closet) and make them read it and tell me honestly what in the world to do with the stupid citizens of this stupid city, why a music box should be magical and what magical qualities it ought to have, and why a wicked shiekh would really want to kidnap a bunch of little kids. Sorrows.

Well, praise the Lord it is raining, because that definitely helps the writing mood. If it were all humid and sticky and droopy out, I think I would chunk my lap top and move into the refigerator with the leftover pumpkin pie.

Cheerio!

2 comments:

Linda B said...

Every writer feels that he or she is writing hogwash with dismaying regularity. You just have to keep going and then when you're done, take a break for a few days or weeks before you go back to it so you can have a more objective approach for the editing stage. Hang in there! I'm so proud of you!

Bailey said...

Right on! Rainy weather IS such good writing weather=)
I wouldn't worry about your story cassie, i am sure it's wonderful=)