Friday, April 20, 2007

The Greatness Thrust Apon Me

Today I went fullblown grocery shopping for the first time, at Walmart. I'm not sure if I was born for this Greatness or if this Greatness was thrust apon me (I think the latter), but I could warm to it. It was with a queer sense of adventure and responsible delight that I selected a buggy (yes, I do call it that) and charged into the store, smiling shyly at everyone. I never do know how to behave in public. I feel like I'm moving in a bubble and I'm going to break things...and...I don't know...like I'm in a completely other world. Its crazy and a bit disconcerting being in the same building for two and a half hours with a so many people and hardly talking to a soul. But- the shopping. Mom's precise list and instructions made my job incredibly easy and to the point...among all the food choices in this incredibly wealthy country, it was kind of a relief to go Great Value Brand all the way (nearly). The produce department was my hairiest moment. I haven't figured out if I was born for Grocery Shopping Greatness yet, but I was most definitely born a pennypincher...encouraged by a certain budget, of course. Decisions... math too, I'm afraid. Is it better to get five pears or four pears and two mangoes? Mangos won. They were on sale, and they're so...exotic :) Well, I sailed through with flying colors, a few cell phone calls, and slightly achy feet. I had 15 cents leftover, which made me very proud of my dear little column of figures, and so excited that God knew what was in my pocket. I just love Him!

4 comments:

Bailey said...

LOL!!!!that's great! I cracked up=p
*sigh* i like mango's too=) but i probably would have ended up getting the four mango's
and the two pears knowing me =p. Love yah! c u sunday=)

Anonymous said...

Great post... it made me want to go grocery shopping! =) And the budget, with fifteen cents leftover- great job! isn't budgeting fun?

I so enjoy your blog, it's encouraging to me and fun to read as well! I love your writing style. Love you too! =)

Bailey, in Tamazunchale, they peel the mangoes and put them on sharp sticks, then roll them in dried chile until they turn dark red. We tried the chile, but just a little, and the flavor was interesting...I'd never had a mango before. I think it tastes like a blend between sweet potato and peach. Quite exotic!

A. Walters said...

Ah, fun Cassie! I love the way you write too. Btw, you should come over here! We have mangos coming out of our ears and going bad... :) I'm reminded that I should not take them forgranted. :)

Anonymous said...

aww, Anna...I wish I could come be with you and your mangos (but mainly just you :)