Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spring Break Tidbits

The God who said "Come to me" is still saying come. And calling me by name. Check out Isaiah 43:1 (or 2?)

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have summoned you by name; you are mine."

Fear not. I don't have to ever be afraid of anything...including hypothetical scary things like

being locked in a boxcar
being embarressed
being in a house fire
being forgotten
being unloved
getting sick and throwing up
hurting people
being too timid
going to dentist
doing the wrong thing
not knowing enough
talking to people
taking the SAT

Anything. And that redeemed part...oh it keeps making me cry. In quiet moments, or when music is playing...I remember that I'm forgiven, and that I'm not able to do anything on my own. I have to be near my Savior.

Spring Break has been pleasant and restful so far. I'm still teaching Bronwyn and Broderic this week (or was, the past three mornings) but school is on hold. I'm fascinated by the rate Rodgy and Bron are progressing...and it really just has to do with all the reading they're doing. We go through the same old routine every week, and somehow, like eager young onion stems sprouting secretly out of our winter garden, they are reading with more and more ease. Especially Bron, since she wants to do it at the moment...Rodgy is extremely smart and capable, but sometimes disinterested. I'm so proud of them both.

Honestly, a lot of teaching is coming the other way, too. Since I'm totally inexperienced with this, I'm just learning a lot about kids, communication, and suchlike. Not to mention getting to experience rare and comical moments that come along in a family of five kids (with one on the way.)

A few days ago...(and I almost hesitate to write this...but not enough. Its just such a perfect example of life as a ten year old boy. I've seen it in my brother, but am realizing that it's quite universal) A few days ago, Rodgy whizzed through his phonogram drill (saying the sounds of the letters) and made a perfect score, knocking off his afternoon phonogram practice. He was extremely happy about it. " Rodge saves the day!" he exclaimed, and, bolting out of his chair, proceeded to flex his bared muscles to the max. As he strained harder and harder and his buffness became more and more exceedingly apparent, he suddenly let out a most resounding, shall we say, "roar from below..." I mean, the windows SHOOK! The three of us gasped with laughter for the next five minutes. The next morning Bron piped up..."Rodge, see if you can do that again!" "No," he replied placidly, "I'm out of gas."

I have much more to write, but am out of time. bye!

No comments: