Friday, March 9, 2007

Spring Break Eve :)

Can you believe it? I'm posting again!

Today was a pleasant day in that it was the last day of normal life until Spring Break begins (it seems like I've been waiting all my life for Spring Break.) I'm really tired of feeling busy. Not necessarily being busy. Most Americans could probably look at my life and guffaw because I really do nothing compared to them...no sports, music, college classes, or "adult things" like full time jobs or running households or mommying. But life goes on non-stop, and it scares me that I might never come to a point where there is nothing to do. Nothing I need or ought to do. I feel harried...haggled...hassled...but God says "Come to me, all who are weary, and I will give you rest..." It's like a sweeping invitation: Come to me...whispered lavishly, not in my ear, but across a field in the afternoon when the sun is beginning to go down. Come.

So yeah, I guess resting is a process and I'll have to keep learning it. Please tell me there's hope! One of the busy (but rather fun) things we did today (Connor, Mattie, and I did some errands) was pick out fabric at Hancock's. I had the bright idea of making a decorative bag...something as exotic and shimmeringly "eastern" as possible...something that's like desert sunsets and sheiks and Arab princesses...the romanticized version. And camels. I have a definite fondness for camels. All humpy and large. Well, somehow I doubt the bag will be exactly what I planned, especially considering my sewing skills *small titters of embarressed amusement* Surely it can't be that hard. The fabric is dupioni silk (please don't ask me what that means...all I know is that it's pretty, and it was in with the "Asian brocades") The silk is a brownish gold, and is shimmery and somewhat rough, but light. (No, that isn't an oxymoron!) The ribbons were red with gold embroidery and beading, gold and brown design, chocolate satin, and gold. Then I purchased tiny red beads and gold sequins to sew on...exotic indeed! So, we'll see what happens!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! the bag sound like it will be stunning! i'm glad spring break is here too, it seems (to me) like a breath of fresh air. Breath in, Breath out,it's spring break! Luv You Cassie!
~Bailey~

Linda B said...

Can't WAIT to see your bag! I love making bags myself. I plan to sew a lot over spring break too--but alas, nothing as glamorous as a silk bag!

Anonymous said...

hey! The bag sounds cool and the fabric....I cheated and googled it! I LOVE IT! (the fabric) and am glad to hear from you! Seems like forever since I've seen or talked with you! Love you!